Posted by Sahil on Sunday, October 19, 2008 at 10:50am.
Here's my thesis for an essay on the Scarlet Letter.
In Nathaniel Hawthorne’s The Scarlet Letter, Hawthorne creates Pearl as an allegory of Hester Prynne’s anima, a character foil unrestricted by circumstantial limits aggrandized by Hawthorne’s use of Pearl as a foil to the scarlet letter itself.
English Essay Thesis - RJ, Sunday, October 19, 2008 at 11:32am
I think it's fine. But make sure you can support it in your body paragraphs, otherwise having such a complicated thesis is worthless.
English Essay Thesis - bobpursley, Sunday, October 19, 2008 at 12:31pm
I think it is totally nonsense.
English Essay Thesis - Writeacher, Sunday, October 19, 2008 at 12:40pm
I agree with Bobpursley. You've used many big words that basically say nothing.
Be sure you're clear on the meanings and uses of these words:
Noun definition #3.
And from then on, your "sentence" makes no sense to me at all. Try rephrasing in better, more straightforward words. If I ever saw sentences like this in my students' writing, I asked them to explain themselves to me without having their papers in front of them. Can you do that? And make sense?
English Essay Thesis - Brandon, Sunday, October 19, 2008 at 12:50pm
Instead of one long sentence, there is no rule that says a thesis statement can not consist of two sentenes.
English Essay Thesis - GuruBlue, Sunday, October 19, 2008 at 1:30pm
I agree with BobPursley and Writeacher entirely!!!!
I think Shakespeare said it well, "sound and fury signifying nothing".
What did you really want to say before you found all those big words? Pretend your teacher doesn't have a dictionary, and be as simple and straightforward as possible in telling what Pearl's purpose in the book is.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Scarlet Letter - essay - Thesis help - So I am writing about how I agree with ...
- English, Scarlet Letter - Heya, i am supposed to come up with a thesis for my ...
- english - can someone please help me with these two essay questions about the ...
- English - This is all what I have for my thesis statement for the research paper...
- English/writing - what is a catchy topic for my essay based on this thesis ...
- English - As I know a character after which a book is named is an eponymous ...
- English/writinh - Im having a hard time starting my introduction for my essay. I...
- English - The Scarlet Letter - I have two questions about the boook. I have AP ...
- quick scarlet letter question - What does Hester do that upsets Pearl? Is it ...
- English - Since you read an actual letter from Melville to Hawthorne, you got a ...