Posted by kelsey on Saturday, October 18, 2008 at 2:26am.
A solid disk (mass = 1 kg, R=0.5 m) is rolling across a table with a translational speed of 9 m/s.
a.) What must the angular speed of the disk be?
b.) What is the rotational KE of the disk?
c.) What is the total KE of the disk?
d.) The disk then rolls up a hill of height 2 m, where the ground again levels out. Find the translational and rotational speeds now.
physics help 4 please! - bobpursley, Saturday, October 18, 2008 at 3:44am
I will be happy to critique your thinking.
physics help 4 please! - drwls, Saturday, October 18, 2008 at 4:23am
The angular speed is w = V/R
I = moment of inertia = (1/2) M R^2
KE(rotational) = (1/2) I w^2
= (1/2)(1/2)M R^2(V/R)^2
= (1/4) M V^2
KE(ranslational) = (1/2) M V^2
Add the two KE types for total KE
Get to know these formulas. Others should not have to refresh your memory and do the work for oyu
physics help 4 please! - kelsey, Monday, October 20, 2008 at 2:09am
For some reason everytime I try to calculate the KE rotational I do not get the right answer. The translational speed can be used for V, right?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- PHYSICS 3 - A solid disk (mass = 1 kg, R=0.5 m) is rolling across a table with a...
- physics - A disk with mass m = 8.1 kg and radius R = 0.33 m begins at rest and ...
- Physics Please Help! - A solid disk with a mass ok 100 kg and radius of 0.2m ...
- phys - A disk rolls down a slope. It rotational axis is its center of mass. It ...
- physics - A solid, uniform disk of radius 0.250 m and mass 60.4 kg rolls down a ...
- Physics - The moment of inertia of an object depends on the shape of the object...
- Physics - A solid disk with a mass ok 100 kg and radius of 0.2m turns clockwise ...
- PHYSICS - A solid disk with a mass of 100kg and a radius of 0.2m, turns ...
- Physics - A solid disk with a mass of 100kg and a radius of 0.2m, turns ...
- Physics 1 - A disk rotates with constant angular acceleration. The initial ...