Posted by Joshua on Friday, October 17, 2008 at 6:41am.
In the question "It is given that P (0, 3), Q(7, 5), R(9, -2) and S are vertices of a square. A circle A passes through the points P, Q, R and S. Find the equation of this circle. Hence or otherwise find the equation of circle B which is the image of A under the reflection about y – axis."
Can someone help me with the part hence or otherwise? I've found that the equation of the circle is x^2 + y^2 -9x -y -6 =0
- Math - drwls, Friday, October 17, 2008 at 9:06am
Assuming your answer is correct, it can be written
(x - 9/2)^2 + (y - 1/2)^2 = 106/4
(check my numbers)
The reflection about the y axis would be
(x + 9/2)^2 + (y - 1/2)^2 = 106/4
- Math - Joshua, Friday, October 17, 2008 at 9:40am
Just wondering, does the word "under" in the question influence the question at all?
Thanks for your reply! =)
- Math - drwls, Friday, October 17, 2008 at 10:53am
In this mathematics context, "Under the reflection about (an axis)" is the same as saying "after a reflection about (an axis)"
Mathematicions often us the preposition "under" to indicate carrying out an operation. It does not mean "below" in this case.
- Math - Joshua, Friday, October 17, 2008 at 10:57am
Thanks drwls for the good explanation =)
- Math - mina, Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 9:18pm
jack has 3/4 of a dollar. Maxwell has 1/10 of a dollar. Do they have more or less than $1.oo in all?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - can u help this the qustion is : A circle passes through the points (1,4...
- steev - can u help this the qustion is : A circle passes through the points (1,4...
- Math - This question makes reference to an orthonormal basis (i,j), and an ...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- analytic geometry/graphing problem - The vertices of a triangle are the points ...
- Math 101 - Find the equation for each of the following items below: a. A line ...
- mathematics - The circle x2-2x+y2-4y-4=0 lies on the cartesian plane,question 2....
- Algebra - Please help me to solve this problem. Thank you in advance for helping...
- Math (urgent) - the equation x^2+y^=25 describes a circle with center at the ...
- Geometry - Within an orthonormal system consider points A(1,4) B(5,1) C(4,8) (a)...