Posted by gina on Friday, October 17, 2008 at 12:22am.
There were 1320 pumpkins in a pumpkin patch,
but it was difficult for farmer Joe to find the
• Every third pumpkin was too small.
• Every fourth pumpkin was too green.
• Every fifth pumpkin had a broken stem.
• Every sixth pumpkin had the wrong shape.
How many perfect pumpkins did farmer Joe find
in the pumpkin patch?
we thought the answer was 440. 1320/6=220. Then 1320-220=1100. then 1100/5=220. then subtract 1100-220=880 nd so on...does that make sense?
- math logic - Reiny, Friday, October 17, 2008 at 1:49am
see the solution I gave to your question earlier.
- math logic - drwls, Friday, October 17, 2008 at 1:56am
Assuming that they can have no more than one defect, the fraction with no defects is
(1- 1/3)*(1- 1/4)*(1- 1/5)*(1- 1/6)
= (2/3)(3/4)(4/5)(5/6) = 120/360 = 1/3
1/3 of 1320 is 440
A different answer could be obtained by assuming the defects occur at regular intervals in a lineup. In this case, multiple defects would be possible for some pumpkins.
- yskn mohkebfs - yskn mohkebfs, Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 9:25pm
ibqmxtu ebtqn pkwilyns gxkw pntkquj pcbdnvers tyrpc
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- logic - There were 1320 pumpkins in a pumpkin patch, but it was difficult for ...
- math logic - There were 1320 pumpkins in a pumpkin patch, but it was difficult ...
- math - there were 360 pumpkins in a pumpkin patch , but it was difficult for ...
- math - Farmer Frank's pumpkin patch had 360 pumpkins and he was searching for ...
- math - There were 60 pumpkins in a pumpkin patch but it was difficult for farmer...
- Physics - Early one October you go to a pumpkin patch to select your Halloween ...
- Physics - Early one October, you go to a pumpkin patch to select your Halloween ...
- physics - A small pumpkin of mass 2.22 kg is dropped from rest from a height of ...
- Math - Every year in Delaware there is a contest where people create cannons and...
- math - went to market with a whole crop of pumpkins which I had grown in my ...