Posted by Jess on Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 9:00pm.
Find both solutions to the equation:
q(squared) - 6q + 5 = 0
- Math - algebra - bobpursley, Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 9:01pm
doesn't it factor
- Math - algebra - Jess, Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 9:19pm
let's say q = 10
(10 -1) (10-5) = 0
(9)(5) = 45
I'm not trying to be a problem, it's been more years than I'd like to admit since I've done this, and I'm trying to help my son with homework. He's trying to "work backwards" to solve this, and he thinks he can do this:
q(squared) - 6q + 5 = 0
q(sq) - 6q = -5
then he wants to just divide the 6q on the left side by the 6, as well as the -5 getting:
q(sq)= -.83 (he's leaving out the other q)
- Math - algebra - Jess, Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 9:30pm
I've got your factoring thing - do you have a 2nd solution?
- Math - algebra - Jess, Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 9:04pm
wouldn't factoring it make it look like this?
q(q-6)+ 5 = 0
- Math - algebra - bobpursley, Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 9:07pm
yes, but that is of no use. Recheck my factors, and solve for the roots.
- Math - algebra - courtney, Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 9:37pm
i'm not a math expert, just another dad trying to help my kid.
i found this and thought it might help.
oops, guess i can't paste a website address here. if you google quadratic equation calculator it should come up
i think using the quadratic equation here might the way to go?
came up with 5 or 1 as the answer.
hope this helps more than confuses
- Math - algebra - noshin, Friday, October 17, 2008 at 5:55am
i think it would be
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - Solve the equation by extracting square roots. List both the exact ...
- Inter. Algebra - Another problem plz help Count Iblis. How do you solve 5/x+2 + ...
- Math - Find all solutions to the equation sqrt(2-3x)= 9. Express your answer as...
- Algebra - Find the values of the polynomial for the given values of the variable...
- algebra 2 multiple choice HELP - find f(a), if f(t) = 2t2(squared)-t-2 A. 2(a+t)...
- Math - Find the shortcut. Solve these problems. Then find and explain a shortcut...
- Algebra - I am stuck... find the real solutions of the equation x to the 4th ...
- Math - Find the equation of a hyperbola of the form x squared / M - y squared / ...
- algebra - find an equivalent equation with teh given denominator 7/b= ?/bsquared...
- ALGEBRA - The table below shows two equations: Equation 1 |3x - 1| + 7 = 2 ...