Posted by sarah on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 at 12:39am.
how do I figure ou this answer?
Jess say's the square of the sum of 17 plus some number will equal his mother's age squared. If jess' mother's age squared is 2209, what number must be used to make the equation true?
math - drwls, Tuesday, October 14, 2008 at 12:49am
Write the equations and solve them.
Let the "some number" be x. Let his mother's age be y.
(17 + x)^2 = y^2
y^2 = 2209
Hint: the square root of 2209 is 47. So you can eliminate y as an unkown.
You will be left with a quadratic equation to solve. Use the usual methods.
math - rachel, Tuesday, October 14, 2008 at 6:06am
about this common monomial factor.
how to solve it,and how can i use the short method.
thank you. :)
math (to rachel) - drwls, Tuesday, October 14, 2008 at 8:01am
Please post your question separately using "Post a New Question" and explai: * what monomial factor you are talking about,
* why it is "common" and
* what the "it" is that you are trying to solve.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- 7th grade math - jess, marie, and emily are sisters. The sum of their ages is ...
- Pre-algerbra - Ok, It is riddle. Jack is married to Jill. There son wants to ...
- math - Five years ago mother's age was square of her son. 10 years hence her age...
- Math - Jack is married to Jill. Their son, Junior, asked each of them to reveal ...
- physics - jess = 65kg, mary 55kg. Jess on trapeze together after pick up 5.5ms-1...
- 5th Grade word problems - Mary is 1/6 the age of her mother this year. Next year...
- math - i am having a minor difficulty i've been stuck for over an hour and don't...
- math - Say if these numbers make a right triangle and a Pythagorean triple: 2, 2...
- statistics - 1. If we select a birth at randam, what is the probability the ...
- Grammar - The patient's father died at age 69 of an MI, the patient's mother ...