Posted by Sara on Sunday, October 12, 2008 at 5:55pm.
A 2.00 ml sample of an aqueous solution of hydrogen peroxide, H2O2 (aq) is treated with an excess of Kl (aq). The liberated I2 requires 12.40 mL of 0.1025 M Na2S2O3, for its titration. Is the H2O2 up to the full strength (3% H2O2 by mass) as an antiseptic solution? Assume the density of the aqueous solution of H2O2 ( aq) is 1.00 g/ mL.
H2O2(aq) + H + I^-(aq) ---> H20(l)+I2 (not balanced)
S203^2- + I2 ----> S406 ^2- (aq) + I^- (aq) (not balanced)
Chemistryy....PLEASE HELPP HAVE MIDTERMMM - DrBob222, Sunday, October 12, 2008 at 6:18pm
H2O2 + 2H^+ + 2I^- ==> I2 + 2H2O check me out.
2S2O3^-2 + I2 ==> 2I^- + S4O6^-2
check me out.
Convert 12.40 mL x 0.1025 M S2O3^- to mols.
Using the coefficients in the balanced equations, convert mols S2O3^-2 to mols I2 and from there to mols H2O2.
Convert mols H2O2 to grams.
Then calculate percent H2O2.
%H2O2 = (mass H2O2/mass solution)*100 =
Chemistryy....PLEASE HELPP HAVE MIDTERMMM - Damon, Sunday, October 12, 2008 at 6:40pm
How many mol of S2O3^-2?
12.4*10^-3 L * .1025 M/L = 1.27*10^-3 M of S2O3^-2
2 S2O3^-2 + I2 = 2I^-1 + S4 ...
one mol of S2O3 for every mol I (not I2)
1.27*10^-3 mol of I
1.27*10^-3 mol of KI
H2O2+ 2H^1+ 2I^-1 = 2H2O + I2
so one mol H2O2 for every 2 mol of I
.6355 *10^-3 mol of H2O2 in 2*10^-3 L
.317 mol of H2O2 in a Liter of solution
what is the mass of that?
.3178(2+32) = 10.8 grams/liter =.0108 g/mL
It is supposed to be .03 g/mL
so it is weak
check my arithmetic!
Chemistryy....PLEASE HELPP HAVE MIDTERMMM - Sara, Monday, October 13, 2008 at 6:21am
Thank YOu soo mUch
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - A 2.00 ml sample of an aqueous solution of hydrogen peroxide, H2O2 (...
- Please HElp CHemistry MIDTERM - A 2.00 ml sample of an aqueous solution of ...
- chemistry - Hydrogen peroxide, H2O2, is used to disinfect contact lenses. What ...
- Chemistry - a 5.000ml aqueous sample containing hydrogen peroxide as diluted to ...
- Chemistry - Hydrogen peroxide, H2O2, solution can be purchased in drug stores ...
- Chemistry - Please help! - Small quantites of hydrogen peroxide can be prepared ...
- AP Chem - A solution of hydrogen peroxide, H2O2, is titrated with a solution of ...
- Chemistry - Redox titrations are used to determine the amounts of oxidizing and ...
- Chemistry - A solution of hydrogen peroxide, H2O2 , is titrated with potassium ...
- Chemistry - 2MnO4-(aq) +5 H2O2 (aq) + 6H+(aq) -> 5 O2(g) + 2 (Mn2+(aq) = 8H2O...