Posted by Andrew on Sunday, October 12, 2008 at 4:20pm.
A question on "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson ?
I am writing an essay explaining how the use of literary devices creates a sense of horror.
I wrote down things like "withheld knowledge" (that the author not telling readers the "prize" of the lottery)
but I need to rewrite it because I did not explain "how does this create a sense of horror."
What should I do?
- English - bobpursley, Sunday, October 12, 2008 at 4:30pm
Rewrite it. Explain how withholding that tidbit created a sense of horror.
- English - Ms. Sue, Sunday, October 12, 2008 at 4:31pm
I suggest you go back through the story, noting evidences of foreshadowing. If the outcome of the story will be good, why did the villagers collect stones? What is the symbolism of the black box?
- English - SraJMcGin, Sunday, October 12, 2008 at 4:40pm
Thank you for using the Jiskha Homework Help Forum. What a stir this story caused when it first appeared in The New Yorker. Many people cancelled subscribtions and the magazine was flooded with "hate mail and calls!" Here are some links you might enjoy:
1. (Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lottery
2. (analysis): http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/14390/analysis_of_the_lottery_a_short_story.html?cat=38
3. (Book Rags): http://www.bookrags.com/The_Lottery
4. (criticism): http://www.enotes.com/contemporary-literary-criticism/lottery-jackson-shirley
Answer this Question
- English - ms. sue - ms. sue thanks for giving me list of traditions :) you read ...
- Literature - I need help in with writing my introduction paragraph I have ...
- english - in the story the lottery by shirley jackson what is tess symbolic?
- English - I am writing this essay about Shirley Jackson's "The lottery" My essay...
- Literature - Post a 150- to 300-word response to the following discussion ...
- Writing - I have to write a 5 page essay on the theme of Knowledge in the book ...
- British Literature - Authors uses literary devices such as foreshadowing,...
- introduction, eng - i'm writing a short essay where i have to describe three ...
- Grade 12 english - I'm to compare I have a Dream speech with Mandela's ...
- One Ordinary Day by Shirley Jackson--Please, help! - Please, help me! This ...