Posted by Erica on Sunday, October 12, 2008 at 1:42pm.
Erik bicycles 32 km/h with no wind. Against the wind he bikes 33 km in the same time it takes to bike 63 km with the wind. What is the speed of the wind?
I don't understand any of the responses.
You have to assume in this case the wind retards and assists with the same force, which is not usually true.
where Vrg is net velocity relative to ground, Vrgs is velocity relative to ground in still conditions, and Vwind is the velocity of the wind.
add the equations...
then time= 96/64 hr
Now solve for speed of wind in the first equation..
- Math word problem - Writeacher, Sunday, October 12, 2008 at 2:04pm
Erica, David, Shawn, or whoever,
Your question has been answered below. If there is a particular part of the response that you don't understand, please let the math teachers know what that is. To simply say you don't understand doesn't give them much to work with.
- Math word problem - bobpursley, Sunday, October 12, 2008 at 3:14pm
I assume you can add the equations.
Then solve for time.
Now to solve for wind speed
I assume you can solve that.
- Math word problem - Shawn, Sunday, October 12, 2008 at 3:21pm
Thank you I have the answer as 10km/h.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Help - Erik bicycles 32 km/h with no wind. Against the wind he bikes 33 km in ...
- English - 1. He died young. 2. He died when he was young. 3. When he was young, ...
- math - A jet takes the same time to travel 2500km with the wind as it does to ...
- maths - an aeroplane takes 40 minutes less to fly 3600km with the wind blowing ...
- math-word problem - A plane flies with a ground speed of 160 miles per hour if ...
- College Math - Im having a hard time trying to figure out how to do this problem...
- Algebra 2 - An airplane flies 1050 km with the wind. In the same amount of time...
- math - When an airplane flies with a given wind, it can travel 3000 km in 5hrs. ...
- algebra - A plane takes 3 hours to travel 1500 miles with the wind. it can ...
- 11 - How do I work this problem? Flying with the wind, an airplane can travel ...