Posted by Kay on Friday, September 26, 2008 at 10:56pm.
I am stumped! I have been working on these problems for the longest time and I can not figure out what I am doing wrong. Some how when I get to the last two steps I mess up, and I am beyond frustrated.
The directions say:
Write an equation of the line containing the given point and perpendicular to the given line.
1. (-5,9) 5x=6y+7
2. (3,5) 4x+y=9
3. (3,-5) 6x+5y=7
To show you where I am messing up I am going to give you one I have already tried to do, then maybe someone can tell me where I am going wrong. I have a test on this tomorrow and I don't get it at ALL!
Then you use the formula y-y1=m(x-x1)
so it would be
Then here is where I am having problems, when I try to multiply the -1/9 by 4 and then add 6 to it, I come up with the wrong answer.
I got y= -1/9x+10/9. The right answer is -1/9x+58/9. The answers all have to be in the formula of y=mx+b
Thanks for your help!
Algergra - bobpursley, Friday, September 26, 2008 at 11:16pm
Start here: you have the general equation correct..
y= -x/9 -7/9
Now you want a line perpendicular to this line, so it has the slope 9 (negative reciprocal of -1/9
So the equation of the perpendicular is
y=9x + b.
Put in the point 4,6
6=9*4+b so b= -30
so the answer is y=9x-30. That is the equation of a line perpendicular and through the point 4,6. Your stated right answer is wrong.
y=5/6 x -7/6
so the perpendicular line will be slope -6/5, or
put in the point (-5,9)
9=30/5 + b
y=-6x/5 + 3 is the equation of the line perpendicular containing the point.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - Help! I am stumped on this one. Graph the equation 15x + 5y = 10 ...
- physics. - I have tried the problems. the only thing is the difference in names...
- math - Two rational numbers with the sum of 1, product of -6/25 and quotient of...
- pre algebra - How do I figure out problems like 52 = p +(-41)? I tried doing the...
- Algebra - I am having such a hard time in this class. Hopefully someone here can...
- math - which ordered pair is a solution to the equation y = 3x + 4. I just can't...
- Algebra - Help please-I'm doing something wrong- Solve 8x^2 + 6x + 5 = 0 I'm ...
- Algebra 2 Urgent! please Help! - simplfy (10x^2-6x-x^3)+(9x+x^3+5x^2) please ...
- drivers ed - i have been working on this forever...and i cant figure it out......
- CHEMISTRY - Been trying for days to crack this sure it staring me in the face ...