Posted by kayla on Friday, September 26, 2008 at 10:27pm.
rose counted her money and found that her 25 coins which were nickels, dimes, and quarters were worth $3.20. The number of dimes exceeded the number of nickels by 4. How many coins of each kind did she have?
I know that the expression for nickles would be 5x, for dimes it would be
10x + 40, but i dont understand how to do the expression for quarters.....can someone help me with the answer
- pre calc - Quidditch, Friday, September 26, 2008 at 11:50pm
N = number of nickles
D = number of dimes = N+4
Q = number of quarters
Add the coins to get $3.20
(N*$0.05) + (D*$0.10) + (Q*$0.25) = $3.20
Expressing D and Q in terms of N:
(N*$0.05) + ((N+4)*$0.10) + (21-2N)*$0.25=$3.20
Solve for N. Then plug N into the equations for D and Q
- pre calc - drwls, Saturday, September 27, 2008 at 12:00am
It is not clear what your x means, and where you came up with 10x + 40 for the value of the dimes. Let the numbers of nickels, dimes and quarters be N, D and Q.
5 N + 10 D + 25 Q = 320
D = N + 4
N + D + Q = 25
Now solve those three equations in three unknowns.
5 N + 10(N + 4) + 25 Q = 320
15 N + 25 Q = 280
2 N + 4 + Q = 25
Multiply that last equation by 25
50 N + 25 Q = 525
Now eliminate the Q
35 N = 245
N = 7
You do the rest
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - rose counted her money and found that her 25 coins which were nickels, ...
- math - Jo has 37 coins (all nickels, dimes and quarters) worth $5.50. She has 4 ...
- Math - the banks contains quarters , dime and nickels. The number of dimes is 1 ...
- Math - Monica Collects quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies. This afternoon she ...
- Math - Iman collects quarters,dimes, nickels, and pennies. This morning he took...
- math - Joe has a collection of nickels and dimes that is worth $6.20. If the ...
- math - Joe has a collection of nickels and dimes that is worth $8.55. If the ...
- Math - Joe has a collection of nickels and dimes that is worth $6.05 if the ...
- math - Sarah has a collection of nickels, dimes, and quarters worth $9.25. She ...
- math - When a child breaks open her piggy bank, she finds a total of 76 coins, ...