Posted by jennifer on Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 9:56am.
I have 12 word problems to do for my class today.
I am not very good at them.
Any suggestions on how to set them up?
they vary from question to question
MATH - drwls, Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 11:40am
Turn the word problems into equations, and solve for the unknown quantity or quantities.
Why not give us one or two examples to show you the process?
MATH - jennifer, Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 11:49am
A model rocket is launched vertically upward from the top of a cliff 144 feet above sea level. This translates to the model y = -16t^2 + 128t + 144 where y is the height in feet and t is the time in seconds after it was launched. After it is launched, when will the rocket hit the water?
MATH - drwls, Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 11:57am
It will hit the water when y = 0. You have to solve the quadratic equation.
You can rewrite it (by dividing both sides by -16)
t^2 - 8t - 9 = 0
which factors to
(t-9)(t+1) = 0
Therefore t = 9 seconds is when it hits the ground. The other solution t = -1 second has no meaning
MATH - Gloria, Friday, July 9, 2010 at 12:28pm
A ball is dropped from a height of 64 feet. It's height above the earth is the feet given by h(t)=-16t^2+64, where t is the number of seconds after it is dropped
a Find h(1)
b how long does it take the ball to fall to the earth
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Social Studies - Many of you gave me really good suggestions, THANKS. But I have...
- english - hi everybody.I am going to be a teacher tomorrow and my topic is ...
- Math - Do you know of a good website that can help me with word problems? I want...
- algebra - how do I help my son answer this question/ cary spent 1/3 of his class...
- Math - I can't figure out this question in my math book. What would be a ...
- L.A. - Hi! Could you tell me what this means? I have a question on my homework ...
- Quick math help - On my test over parallel lines and proportional parts in ...
- s.s.......... help me - in the 1860's ( in ur opinion) would u have voted to ...
- Socials - Write an account of the death from Griggs point of view. This is ...
- English-Native speakers - Need help with one sentence structure. I don't know if...