Posted by Jacob on Monday, September 22, 2008 at 10:27am.
Find the equation of the straight line joining
a)(4, 4) and ( 2, 0)
b)(3, -1), (5, 4)
i also need to know how you went about solving this problem so i can understand.. many thanks
- Math - bobpursley, Monday, September 22, 2008 at 10:31am
take the generic straight line:
y=mx + b.
Put in the first point: (4,4)
4=4m+b let this be the equation 1)
put in the second point in the generic
Now you have two equations, and two unknowns (m,b). Solve them. In this case subtract the second equation from the first, which yields
4=2m or m=2
This makes b=-4 check that.
- Math - Reiny, Monday, September 22, 2008 at 11:47am
A slight variation of bobpursey's method for #2
slope = (4+1)/(5-3) = 5/2
let the equation be y = (5/2)x + b
sub in the point (5,4)
4 = 5/2(5) + b
8 = 25 + 2b
b = -17/2
so y = (5/2)x - 17/2
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - In this problem we consider drawing some straight lines which form a nice...
- math help & correction - Problem #1 Is this correct or wrong? Find the slope of ...
- algebra - don't quite understand how to go about finding the answer to this ...
- Linear Inequality + graphing? - don't quite understand how to go about finding ...
- Maths - Point P(-8,-3)and Q(6,9)are joined by a straight line.Find the equation ...
- add maths - Find the equation of the perpendicular bisector of the straight line...
- Precalculus - Considering the line segment joining A(-5, 2) and B(7, 8), find an...
- Maths - Hi How can we get an equation for a straight line cause I went in many ...
- Math(word problem) - For the line joining points A(-1, 3) and B(5, 7): a.Find ...
- MATH HELP - Which of the following statements best describes the graph of 4x ...