Posted by Yvonne on Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 9:11pm.
In Physics we often use meters per second as the units of velocity, rather than miles per hour. Convert 1 meter per second to miles per hour to get an idea of how these units compare. Please help me by showing me step by step so I can understand it better.
- college physics - bobpursley, Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 10:03pm
1m/s * 1mile/1609meters * 60sec/min * 60min/hr
1m/s= 3600/1609 miles/hr
- college physics - Count Iblis, Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 10:04pm
1 mile = 1609.344 meters
1 hour = 3600 seconds
1 mile/hour =
1609.344 meters/(3600 seconds) =
1609.344/3600 meters/second =
This means that
1 meter /second =
1/(0.44704) miles/hour =
- college physics - DrBob222, Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 10:08pm
Here are some factors you may need.
There are 60 seconds in 1 minute.
There are 60 minutes in 1 hour.
There are 3.2808 feet in a meter.
There are 5,280 feet in a mile.
Now put all this together. Just remember that the factor must be placed in such a way so as to cancel the unit you don't want to keep and leave the unit you want to keep.
1 m/s x (60 s/1 min) x (60 min/1 hr) x (3.2808 feet/1 m) x (1 mile/5,280 feet)= ??
Note that m in numerator of first term cancels with m in the denominator of fourth term, s in first terms cancels with s in the second term, min in second term cancels with min in third term, feet in fourth term cancels with feet in the fifth term. The only units left are miles in fifth term and hour in the third term. Check my work. You can check your answer by going to google and typing in 1 meter per second to miles per hour and hit the enter key. You should get 2.2369 something mph for the answer if I didn't goof.
Check my thinking.
- college physics - barrie, Monday, January 23, 2012 at 4:35pm
What is 29 miles per hour in units of m/s? 1 mile is 5280 feet, 1 meter is 3.3 feet, 1 hour is 60 minutes, and 1 minute is 60 seconds.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Trigonometry- Help! - After one hour in flight, an airplane is located 200 miles...
- physics - a man walks 0.9 miles around a shopping mall in half an hour what is ...
- physics - a man walks 0.9 miles around a shopping mall in a half an hour what is...
- maths - A motorist travels 120 miles to his destionation at an average speed of ...
- physics - . Compared a car (mass of 2000 kg) moving at 10 miles per hour, how ...
- math - substitute to find the value of the expression. A train must cover a ...
- algebra - A student runs 100 meters in 11 seconds. What is the speed of the ...
- physics (plz help) - In SI units, acceleration is measured in units of meters ...
- Physics kinematics - The break of a car can slow it down from 60 miles per hour ...
- Physics - A bus started out going 20 miles per hour on the highway. One hour ...