Posted by jennifer on Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 1:54pm.
The inclined ramp of a boat launch is 8 meters longer than the rise of the ramp.
The run is 7 meters longer than the rise. How long are the three sides of the ramp?
please explain how to do this one
- MATH - Reiny, Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 3:26pm
the the rise be x m
then the run is x+7 m , and the ramp (the hypotenuse) is x+8 m
x^2 + (x+7)^2 = (x+8)^2
expand and simplify to
x^2 - 2x - 15=0
Can you take it from there?
- MATH - jennifer, Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 4:07pm
is this right
is this right?
- MATH - Reiny, Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 8:25pm
x^2 - 2x - 15=0
x = 5 or x =-3
clearly x has to be positive
so the height of the ramp is 5, take it from there.
- MATH - jennifer, Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 9:48pm
so if the height is 5 then other side would be
13m and 12m?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- MATH - boating The inclined ramp of a boat launch is 8 meters longer than the ...
- Math - The inclined ramp of the boat launch is 18 meters longer than the rise of...
- shelby - the boat launch shown is 32 meters longer than the rise of the ramp. ...
- Science - Which solution will best allow the movers to achieve their goal? A) ...
- physical science - A mover uses a ramp to push a stereo into the moving van. ...
- physics - how much should a ramp rise over 10 meters of run for an angle of 12 ...
- Physics - 2. A person would like to jump over a river using a motorcycle and a ...
- math - Your school is organizing a carnival. You are building a ramp for a game...
- Science - physics - Imagine you need to deliver a piano over three steps. A ...
- Math OMG Please help - A wooden access ramp is being built to reach a platform ...