Posted by Kaity on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 9:03pm.
Several hypotheses may fit every set of data. what is important to know when you hear about a new scientific finding? NUmber the following in order of their importance.
__ who paid for the research?
__ the education of the scientist completing the study
__ how much data did the scientist collect?
__ was the research biased?
__ has the reasearch been repeated?
__ was the experiment a controlled experiment?
Briefly explain why u selected the order?
- Science - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 9:15pm
I'd rank "who paid for the research" as # 1. I wouldn't trust a pharmaceutical company that pays for research for its own drug.
- Science...plz help - Kaity, Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 9:18pm
and what about others?
- Science - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 9:20pm
What do you think?
- Science - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 9:44pm
All of those are important. You need to use your knowledge and judgment to determine which are most important to you.
- Science - Kaity, Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 9:45pm
- Science - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 9:48pm
- Science - Joe, Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 10:13pm
Ms Sue wrote: I'd rank "who paid for the research" as # 1. I wouldn't trust a pharmaceutical company that pays for research for its own drug.
Um, I'm no great fan of the pharma companies, but for the record, they pay for most of their own research, and we benefit from the results. The poster asks about hypotheses and data generally, where the explanation may vary. Lots of valid research gets paid for by interested parties...it's only if the results are particularly controversial or contested that we need to look for biases. Also, "the education of the scientist completing the study" is irrelevant in science. All that matters is that the work is good enough to be published in a refereed journal. Aside from MDs, in fact, scientific journals won't generally allow someone to list their degrees when submitting a paper--for exactly the reason that the work is to be evaluated on its own merits.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Precalculus - Question Details: Finding Regression for each set of data & ...
- Pyhsical Science - Which of the following statements is true about scientific ...
- Algebra. Please help me understand. - 24. You use a line of best fit for a set ...
- Physics - Please check these answers[my letter choice is in CAPS]: 1. In the ...
- math - I don't understand this problem at all. It involves finding the line of ...
- Math - I can't figure out this question in my math book. What would be a ...
- Env Science - Discuss the importance of each step in the scientific method. Why ...
- critical cognition - Can someone help me evaluate this hypotheses? Evaluate the ...
- Science - Hi, I have two questions about biology I need help with. 1) Some ...
- math - 4. For Questions 4-7, use the following data: The number of file ...