Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 4:00pm.
Can someone help me find rhetorical devices used in this poem, "mother to son" by langston hughes. I know one is that the crystal stair is a metaphor but are there any others?
well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor --
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now --
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
english - lily, Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 4:13pm
in my opinion the whole poem is a metaphor, refering to the fact that life is not always going to be perfect
english - GuruBlue, Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 5:01pm
Lily is just exactly correct. The entire poem is a metaphor for life.
"Reaching landings, turning corners" Both are metaphors for various phases of living.
english - Anonymous, Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 5:50pm
does this mean the poem is an allegory?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- enlish. poem, Mother To Son - in Mother to Son Langston Hughes uses the extended...
- English - Mother to Son by Langston Hughes Well, son, I'll tell you: Life for me...
- English - 2. The speaker in the poem, “Mother To Son,” says the following: “Life...
- Lang Arts - 1. How would you describe a deferred vacation? a. One that was ...
- english - is there a poem that uses a lot of rhetorical devices by Langston ...
- English - Read the following lines from “Mother to Son”: So, boy, don’t you turn...
- english - Well, son, I’ll tell you: Life for me ain’t been no crystal stair. It’...
- Englisj - In Langston Hughes poem, Dreams, Would using a simile rather than a ...
- English - I have to do a paragraph due Wednesday. Could someone please read it ...
- Metaphors - Find a metaphor --------------------------------------- DREAMS Hold ...