Posted by Samantha on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 8:41pm.
I'm having trouble with inequalities. Basically my problem is about which way the sign goes. Here's an example..
so then it becomes
X^2 + X>2
X^2 + X - 2>0
then factor so it becomes
And so I end up with X>-2 and X>1 as my answer, but the book says it should be X<-2. Why did the sign switch? I didn't divide by a negative did I? Can someone help me please?
- Algebra - Reiny, Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 10:12pm
Here is the logical analysis:
(X+2)(X-1)>0 says that the answer is positive, so either
x+2 > 0 AND x-1 > 0
x > -2 AND x > 1 ----> x > 1
x+2 < 0 AND x-1 < 0
x < -2 AND x < 1 ----x < -2
so x < -2 OR x > 1
I use the following quick way to solve these kind of problems.
the "critical values", or the solution to the corresponding "equation", are
x = -2 and x = 1
put these values on a number line, this will split the number line into 3 regions
1. x < -2
2. x between -2 and 1
3. x > 1
select any value of x in those regions and test it in your factored inequation.
1. I picked x=-5 that works
2. let x = 0 , does NOT work
3. let x = 10 , that also works
so x > 1 OR x < -2
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- L'Hopital's rule - Find lim x->1+ of [(1/(x-1))-(1/lnx)]. Here is my work...
- Please help--algebra! - Here's the question I'm having trouble with. Please walk...
- math - When you are solving inequalities, when does the sign change and when ...
- English 3 - After persuading his listeners of their sinfulness during most of ...
- algebra - Graph the system of inequalities x (lesser or equal to sign)2 y (...
- math - 1)The area A of a triangle varies jointly as the lengths of its base b ...
- geometry - The lengths of the sides of a rectangle become 4 times greater than ...
- math,algebra,help - can someone show me how to solve this: Simplify 3 --- + 1 x-...
- Math: Inequalities - for this inequality: (x-1)(x-2)(x-3) <0 becomes x<1 x...
- Math Help ! - For this x^(4) < x becomes x^(4) - x < 0 becomes x(x^(3)-1...