Posted by Angela on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 4:24pm.
I'm a beginner in the subject. It's a category that is overviewed in my AP Chem class. I need some help understanding the following:
...to be continued.
Basically, I understand the ethyl, methyl, butyl, and methane compounds on their own, but I don't know how to contruct them. From there, I might be able to find each isomer and use the IUPAC nomenclature to name them. We were introduced to the subject in class, given homework, and just sort of expected to do it. I'm very lost, and starting to doubt my understanding of chemistry.
Organic Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 4:56pm
I'm not sure this will address your trouble because I'm a little confused by the question. However, for a beginner, here are the basics.
Carbon has a valence of 4; therefore, there will ALWAYS be four bonds attached somehow and someway. We can't draw diagrams on these boards but I can try to explain a couple of them.
For diethylmethylmethane do the following:
Draw a methane molecule.
(I hope that comes out well enough but of course you know how to draw methane, anyway.)
Now, remove one of the H atoms and replace it with a -CH3 group. Then remove another of the H atoms from the original CH4 structure and replace it with -C2H5 group. Do the same with another of the original H atoms. That gives you a central C with 1 H attached, two C2H5 groups attached, and a CH3 group attached.
I hope this helps but don't hesitate to let me know if this isn't what you were looking for.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Organic Chemistry - How do I draw the condensed formula for: 1. 2,3-dimethyl-2-...
- organic chem - Hydrolysis: Draw the products of... N-ethyl-N-phenyl-2,6, ...
- Chemistry - Hey Everyone I was wondering how I could write the condensed ...
- Biology - Can you provide me with a simple understanding of fick's law. ...
- Chemistry - I understood this at one point and now I'm confused again! :( What's...
- chem - Is dimethyl ether a polar molecule? between dimethyl ether and ethyl ...
- Chemistry - Select the correct name for the following compound. Image: img39....
- Clarify: Category and Type - What is the difference between category and type? I...
- Organic Chemistry TLC Chromatography - If you have 5.6 ml of 95:5 ethyl acetate...
- Organic Chemistry - can you please help me with naming the following benzene? i ...