Posted by lily on Tuesday, September 2, 2008 at 8:17pm.
a framer divides his herd of cows anong his 4 sons, one get 1/2, second get 1/4, 3rd gets 1/5 and the 4th get 7. how many cows are in the herd?
- math - Reiny, Tuesday, September 2, 2008 at 8:39pm
x/2 + x/4 + x/5 + 7 = x
multiply each term by 20 and solve, it's easy from there.
- math - lily, Tuesday, September 2, 2008 at 9:21pm
thank you for your help.i got 26 as the answer. i am not sure if this is correct. i am only in the 7th grade and this is the first time i am doing this kind of problem. could you please explain a little more.
- math - Reiny, Wednesday, September 3, 2008 at 7:58am
ok, let's do it without algebra
so far he has given away 1/2, 1/4 and 1/5 of the herd
1/2 + 1/4 + 1/5
= 10/20 + 5/20 + 4/20
= 19/20 of the herd, leaving 1/20
but it said the 4th son get 7 cows, so he must have received 1/20
then if 1/20 equals 7 then
20/20 , or the whole herd, must have been 20x7 or 140 cows
1/2 of 140 = 70
1/4 of 140 = 35
1/5 of 140 = 28
sum of 70+35+28+7 = 140
- math - lily, Wednesday, September 3, 2008 at 5:08pm
oooooooooooooooo that makes alot more sense, thank you!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- science - 3. Which of the following is an example of inbreeding? A farmer ...
- science - Which of the following is an example of inbreeding? A) a farmer ...
- Matth - A farmer died and left 17 cows to be divided among three workers. The ...
- AP Biology - In cattle, the gene pair for red (RR) or white (WW) coat color ...
- Math - #5. If a rancher has one cow with a contagious disease in a herd of 1000...
- math - A herd of 40 elks is introduced into state game lands. The population of ...
- math question (counting) - When Josh was visiting his family’s farm, he saw that...
- maths - A famer has twice as many cow as sheep. After he sold 375 cows and ...
- 5th grade - Carol uses the same ratio table to solve the problems below. Do you ...
- critical thinking - how can i go about answering the rest of the question. can ...