Posted by shaniqua on Monday, September 1, 2008 at 5:58pm.
what would be the equation for this math problem so i can figure it out
In a basketball game, the Squirrels scored a total of 103 points and made 3 times as many field goals ( 2 points each) as free throws (1 point each). They also made eleven three point baskets. How many field goals did they have?
- math - Reiny, Monday, September 1, 2008 at 6:03pm
let the number of free throws be T
let the number of field goals b G
G = 3T
2G + T = 130
sub the first equation into the second and solve for G
sub that back into the first
- math - Reiny, Monday, September 1, 2008 at 6:11pm
I always told my students, the first step is to read the question carefully at least 2 times
and guess what, I did not read the question carefully enough, and forgot about the 3 pointers.
Either change my second equation to
2G + T = 103 - 9
or follow Damon's solution below
- math - Damon, Monday, September 1, 2008 at 6:05pm
11 * 3 = 33 points from outside so that leaves 103-33 = 70 points
x = number of field goals
x/3 = number of free throws
70 points = 2 x + 1 (x/3)
210 = 6 x + x
7 x = 210
x = 30
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - In a game, the Bulls score a total of 103 points and made three times as ...
- Algebra 1 - Mandy scored 22 points in a basketball game. If she made 9 field ...
- algebra 1 - In a basketball game you score 2 points for a field goal and 1 point...
- Math - In basketball, a free throw is 1 point and a field goal is either 2 or 3 ...
- Algebra - Please help me with this problem: A basketball team scored 50 times in...
- Algebra - Jake scored x points in the first basketball game. He scored 2 fewer ...
- Math - In a basketball game Maria scored 3 times as many points as Holly. In the...
- algebra 2 - During last night’s basketball game, Lisa Schmidt made 30 points in ...
- math (algerba 1) Please help! - In basketball you score 2 points for a field ...
- math - How would I write 2 inequalities that describe in basketball that 2 ...