Posted by scooby91320002 on Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 3:46pm.
can you please tell me if I am right for the following (the answer will be in parenthese):
1. This group is the same as a subordinate group. A defining feature of this group is that its members have less control or power over their lives than do members of dominant groups.(Minority group)
2. This describes the social structure between competing groups as defined by conflict or tension. An example would be the conflict that occurs between Haitians and United States citizens when Haitian refugees seek a new home in the United States.(Sociology)
3.This is a group with distinct national origins or cultural patterns. For example, Norwegian Americans belong to this type of group. (ethnic group)
4.Women are considered the social minority in the United States because they belong to this group, and are sometimes subject to prejudice and discrimination.(Gender group)
5.This is the study of social behavior. A professional in this field may study intergroup relations between African Americans and Asian Americans, for example. ( Racial group)
6.This occurs when a person both believes and feels that his or her own racial group is superior to another racial group. ( Racism)
7. The most common definition of this term is a social ranking by social wealth. An example would be a family whose income level categorizes them below the poverty line, versus a family whose income level categorizes them far above the poverty line. (Conflict perspective)
8. This is when an oppressor uses race to determine who is and is not privileged. These determinations are made by assigning characteristics to races and dividing them into groups. At minimum, characteristics include physical or cultural traits.(Pluralism)
9.This is a broad generalization about groups which does not account for individual differences. An example would be if a person were to generalize that all people from New York City are pushy(Stereotype)
10.Among many others, Chinese Americans, African American, Native Americans and Caucasians are examples of this group. Members of such a group can be identified by obvious physical differences.(class)
11. This occurs when a dominant group forces a minority group to live, work, or socialize separately. The high index of Blacks and Whites living separately in Detroit, Michigan is an example.( Segregation)
12. Another way of describing a minority group, this type of group comprises people of certain race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, disability. Members of such a group exhibit five distinct characteristics.( Subordinate group)
13.This occurs when a person, or the group to which that person belongs, assumes the characteristics of a dominant group. An example would be a Native American choosing to abandon his or her cultural norms in favor of United States norms.(Assimilation)
14. This group is associated with a faith other than that of the dominant group. For example, individuals who practice Buddhism in the United States belong to this type of group.(Religious minority group)
15.This perspective maintains that groups in society may express their cultures without facing prejudice or hostility. In part, it can be seen in some of the larger United States cities.(Social construction of race)
- cultural diversity - Writeacher, Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 3:51pm
Scooby, please do not post your questions more than once. Your duplicate post has been removed. Now you must have patience and wait for someone with this expertise to respond.
- cultural diversity - Ms. Sue, Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 5:04pm
I believe that 2, 5, 8, 10, 12, and 15 are wrong. I'm not sure about 7.
If you have a list of words from which to choose, please study their definitions carefully. It would also help if you posted this list along with your corrections.
- cultural diversity - Anonymous, Friday, August 29, 2008 at 1:46am
Social Construction of Race
Religious minority group
- cultural diversity - Emily, Monday, September 1, 2008 at 11:20am
YOUR ALL WRONG!!!!!!!!!!! I AM RIGHT BECAUSE I AM PERFECT! I love me!!! and I am a lesbian
- cultural diversity - Anonymous, Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 10:47pm
reflect on your own worldview and compare it with the world views presented in the text
- cultural diversity - Lea, Friday, March 20, 2009 at 12:54am
Anonymous is correct! for those who are not helping us, get a freakin life, and quite typing stupid stuff!!
- cultural diversity - Angie, Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 10:05pm
lol, i agree, lea
- cultural diversity - Nc, Wednesday, April 15, 2009 at 1:35pm
Ms. Sue where are you?
- cultural diversity - stacey, Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 9:54pm
- cultural diversity - Zain, Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 10:15pm
I was gonna post a real awnser and noticed anonymous already did. Thanks whoever you are.
- cultural diversity - Anonymous, Monday, August 10, 2009 at 6:31pm
This describes the social structure between competing groups as defined by conflict or tension. An example would be the conflict that occurs between Haitians and United States citizens when Haitian refugees seek a new home in the United States.
- cultural diversity - anonymous-2, Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 11:14am
Thank you for those answers!
- cultural diversity - The man, Wednesday, February 17, 2010 at 9:19am
your answers are wrong.
- cultural diversity - mark, Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 6:42pm
Women are considered the social minority in the United States because they belong to this group, and are sometimes subject to prejudice and discrimination
- cultural diversity - Brandi Bear, Monday, June 7, 2010 at 6:40pm
I love my Christopher James
- cultural diversity - Danielle, Wednesday, June 16, 2010 at 8:10pm
Okay, if you guys are just looking to get laid, they have dating sites for that stuff so quit posting sexual comments on this site!!!!!
As for anonymous, thank you for your help!!!!
- cultural diversity - person, Tuesday, August 17, 2010 at 3:15pm
I thinkk you are wrong!
my book gives valid answers and definitions.
- cultural diversity - Monice, Tuesday, September 6, 2011 at 12:37am
Social Construction of Race
Religious minority group
These are all right.
- cultural diversity - Johnny, Tuesday, September 27, 2011 at 12:43pm
*segregation* and not sagragation is the correct spelling
- cultural diversity - Johnny, Tuesday, September 27, 2011 at 12:44pm
or even segragation, lol
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- social studies - the group of the same as subordinate group.A defining feature ...
- cultural diversity - It's an ethnic group the same as Subordinate group? Not ...
- definition- please revise - Key Terms: Stereotype, Gender group, Pluralism, ...
- Socialogy and cultural diversity - Are Irish Americans considered a subordinate ...
- Journal - How do I begin a Journal for a homework assignment on Subordinate ...
- Cultural Diversity - I have to identify and describe which, if any, of the ...
- ethics/125/cultural diversity - i cannot seem to get anywere ive been trying ...
- Eth 125 cultural diversity - journal entry of subordinate group member
- cultural diversity - Is cooperative/competitive when a child prefers to help ...
- John Jay - Where can I find the correct meaning of the following terms: ...