Posted by Arc Length on Sunday, August 24, 2008 at 9:11pm.
Find the length of the arc formed by
y = (1/8)(4x^2-2ln(x)) from x=4 to x=8.
I found the derivative of the function and got y'= x-(1/4x)
Where I'm lost now is after plugging it into the arc length equation: integral of sqrt(1+(x-(1/4x))^2). Squaring the derivative yields me sqrt(1+x^2+1/16x-1/2). Help please.
calculus - Damon, Sunday, August 24, 2008 at 9:47pm
I got sqrt [ 1 + x^2 -(1/2) + 1/(16x^2) ]
sqrt [ x^2 + (1/2) +1/(16x^2) ]
x^2 + (1/2) + 1/(16x^2) = [x+ 1/(4x)]^2
calculus - Arc Length, Sunday, August 24, 2008 at 10:12pm
Oh yes, sorry, I merely had a typo. I had the same result as you. What I'm confused about is what to do from that point on.
calculus - Damon, Monday, August 25, 2008 at 3:50am
well, the sqrt of that is just
x + (1/4)(1/x)
integral of that is
(1/2) x^2 + (1/4) ln x
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - I know how to do this problem, but I'm stuck at the arc length ...
- Math Arc Length - Find the arc length corresponding to an angle of a degrees on ...
- apex geometry - Hannah constructed two similar circles as seen in the image ...
- Calculus - A pendulum swings through an arc length of 1120 cm (Swing #1). With ...
- Calculus Hard Question - A pendulum swings through an arc length of 1120 cm (...
- math - Whats the difference between an arc [of a circle]'s length and measure? ...
- Math rem - 2.Find the length of the arc in a circle if the radius of the circle ...
- calc arc length - Find the length of the arc along f(x) = integral from 0 to x^3...
- AP Calc B/C - Find the arc length of one arch of the sine curve. I started it by...
- Physics - While riding a Ferris wheel, the rider determines that the Ferris ...