Posted by monica on Sunday, August 24, 2008 at 10:06am.
To qualify for the race, each driver must complete 2 laps of the track at an average speed of 100 mi/h. Benjamin averages only 75 mi/h on his first lap. How fast must he go on his second lap to qulify for the race?
math - Reiny, Sunday, August 24, 2008 at 1:09pm
let the distance around the track be d km
so the time needed to qualify is 2d/100
his time for the first lap is d/75 hours
let his speed for the second lap be r km/h
so the time for his second lap is d/r hours
total time = d/75 + d/r = (dr+75d)/75
then (dr+75d)/75 = 2d/100
divide both sides by d
(r+75)/75 = 2/100
you finish it, let me know what you got
math - monica, Sunday, August 24, 2008 at 1:26pm
i got 3675, but that doesn't make any sense, he has to go 3675 mph?
math - drwls, Sunday, August 24, 2008 at 5:18pm
I believe Reiny meant to write
d/75 + d/r = (dr + 75 d)/(75 r)
d/75 + d/r = 2d/100
1/r = 2/100 - 1/75 = 6/300 - 4/300 = 1/150
r = 150
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - to qualify for a race, a car must average 350 km/hr for four laps. If ...
- physics - A runner training for a race times 400 meter laps. Lap 1 60sec, Lap 2 ...
- physics - A runner training for a race times 400 meter laps. Lap 1 60sec, Lap 2...
- physics help please! - A race car is one lap behind the lead race car when the ...
- science - a runner training for a race times her 400 meter laps around a track. ...
- math - jamie ran two laps around a track in 99 seconds. how long did it take him...
- Physics - A runner covers one lap of a circular track 40.0 m in diameter in 62....
- Physics - To qualify for the finals in a racing event, a race car must achieve ...
- phsyics - A car races on a circular track of radius r. (a) Write an equation for...
- Physics - In order to qualify for the finals in a racing event, a race car must ...