Posted by Michelle on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 8:55am.
The following information is given,
f(x) = 2+x x<(less than or equal to) -3
f(x) = x^2 x > -3 , x < 1
f(x) = 6 1 < (less than or equal to) x
I graphed it, but i don't know how to find the domain and range.
- Calculus - bobpursley, Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 9:01am
The domain is the allowed values of x (excluding the non allowed).
The range is the value of f(x), which you compute from x.
I will be happy to critique your thinking.
- Calculus - Michelle, Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 9:10am
for f(x) = 2+x : Domain: (negative infinity to -3]
Range: (-infinity to -1]
f(x) = x^2 : Domain: (-3,-1)
f(x) = 6 : Domain: [-3,-1]
i don't know how to put them all together though. is this right?
- Calculus - bobpursley, Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 9:28am
on the second, the domain does not include -1 nor -3, you have to be careful on the non-included points. Same on the range, you can list it as 9-e,1+e where e is epsilion.
For an all together ,
domain: neginf to +inf
range: neginf to 9, excluding -1+e to 1 (check that).
There is an assortment of the ways you can describe this.
- Calculus - Brandon, Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 6:35pm
That assortment could include notations such as set builder and interval.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - Consider the function f(x)=65x−cos(x)+2 on the interval 0 less ...
- Calculus - Consider the function f(x)=6x-cos(x)+5 on the interval 0 is less than...
- random variables - For the standard normal random variable Z, compute the ...
- ap stats - Continuous Random Variable, I Let X be a random number between 0 and ...
- stats - Continuous Random Variable, I Let X be a random number between 0 and 1 ...
- Statistics - Let Y be a random number between 0 and 1 generated by an idealized ...
- math - State the null hypothesis, Ho, and the alternative hypothesis, Ha, that ...
- Math/Calculus - Find k so that the following function is continuous on any ...
- algebra - graph the following function on the set of axes below. f(x) = lxl, -3 ...
- i lied. very quick calc problem. - f(x) = abs(sin(x)), -pi less than or equal to...