Posted by JORDAN on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 9:32pm.
Which one of the following sentences uses Quotation Marks correctly?
A. "Some laws," he intoned,"are made to be broken."
B. "Put those books on the shelves, she said Or we'll never be able to locate them again."
C. The title of the first chapter in the new science book is"Introduction to the Planet Earth".
D. Her short story,"The Last Day of Spring", won first prize.
IS IT CORRECT
ENGLISH - Nahel, Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 9:38pm
Please note that all punctuation marks are WITHIN quotation marks.
ENGLISH - Writeacher, Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 9:55pm
If you put a space after intoned, and before the quotation marks, sentence A is correct.
Sentence D is incorrect, as Nahel noted, because of where the comma is in relation to the closing quotation marks. Sentence D should read like this:
Her short story, "The Last Day of Spring," won first prize.
Please also remember --
* one space after every word
* one space after every comma
* one space after every period
When you jam words and punctuation together, you create errors that probably weren't there in the text.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- english - Which sentence uses italics, quotation marks, and punctuation ...
- English - 1. My nickname is "Captain Cook." 2. My nickname is "Beyonce." (Why do...
- need help - what are italic words in paragraphs???? In English, we use italics ...
- ENGLISH - In which of these sentences are quotation marks used incorrectly? A. "...
- English; Punctuation - Do you always put a comma before you use quotation marks...
- Math - Carol's bookshelf has4 shelves with6 books on each. Her brother Robert ...
- write teacher english - are te hquotations in the right place. "The only ...
- Grammar - Does it matter where you put the word "not" in a sentence? Would I say...
- English - I have a report that I need to do using superscripts for my sources. ...
- Please Please help! English - Which of the following sentences DOES NOT ...