Posted by shayla on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 8:52pm.
WHICH OF THE SENTENCE USES appostrophe
A. She enjoyed the movie and told me it's scenery reminded her of her hometown.
B. You really ought to take up fly-fishing-it's a very relaxing hobby.
C. This is a fine piece of furniture,and it's merits speak for themselves.
D. She wants to study music in all of it's various genres.
AM I CORRECT
- ENGLISH - Writeacher, Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 9:00pm
The apostrophe in "it's" is correctly used in sentence B, yes. But the use of the dash/hyphen there is incorrect.
- ENGLISH - Joe, Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 9:25pm
Writeteacher is correct. However, the use of an "em" dash instead of a hyphen there would be correct in many situations.
- ENGLISH - Writeacher, Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 9:59pm
The use of an em-dash when two sentences come together is not correct.
It's often used in slangy and/or informal writing, but it's not grammatically correct. I know: picky, picky! But it's true.
- ENGLISH - Joe, Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 10:27pm
Um, your reference makes the following statement:
"We seldom see the dash used this way in formal, academic prose." That may be true, but that's not the same as saying that the use of the em dash is "not grammatically correct." And "formal, academic prose" is notorious for jargon, the use of the passive voice and other infelicities--hardly a standard of what the best writing should be. In other words, you may object to the em dash on stylistic grounds, but there's tons of precedence for it in good writing and it's certainly grammatical.
- ENGLISH - JORDAN, Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 9:39pm
DO YOU SUGGEST THE CORRECT ONE IS A
- ENGLISH - Writeacher, Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 9:57pm
Please reread my answer above. Sentence A is incorrect.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- ENGLISH - Which of the following sentences uses apostrophe correctly? A. She ...
- English - In which sentence is an a homonym used correctly? 1. Karen's new dog ...
- english - In what sentence is a homonym used correctly? A. If you ask me, there'...
- ENGLISH SOS!!!!!!!!! MS SUE, SOMEONE, PLEASE! - IS The italicized word in the ...
- English - (1) Do you enjoy being out in the fresh air? (2) Does nature restore ...
- English - 1. I lied that you were a fine gardener. 2. I lied him that you were a...
- English - 1. We had so much fun! 2. We enjoyed ourselves so much! 3. We really ...
- English - 1. I lied and told him that you were a fine gardener. 2. I lied and I ...
- english - How the pronoun reference became faulty? 1. Jake told his brother he ...
- Study Unit:Main Ideas - (1) Do you enjoy being out in the fresh air? (2) Does ...