Friday
April 18, 2014

Homework Help: Chemistry

Posted by chemstudent on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 2:26am.

Why is rubbing alcohol poisonous?

Some rubbing alcohols are made from isopropyl alcohol which you clearly can't drink, but most rubbing alcohol is made from ethanol and water which are the same ingredients in alcoholic beverages.

I hear that rubbing alcohol uses "denatured" alcohol. Is this because there are other poisonous additives present such as acetone, or is this because the actual ethanol molecules are different from those in alcoholic beverages in some way?

Answer this Question

First Name:
School Subject:
Answer:

Related Questions

Chemistry - Rubbing alcohol is a 90 mass % solution of isopropyl alcohol, C3H8O...
CHEM URGENT PLZ - 1.Which of these substances has bent molecular geometry around...
heat of vaporization - Suppose that 1.00 g of rubbing alcohol (C3H8O) evaporates...
chemistry - A bottle of rubbing alcohol (C3H7OH) from the store is a 70% ...
MATH - Isopropyl alcohol, C3H8O, is used in rubbing alcohol mixture. Alcohol on ...
Science - Rubbing alcohol is a solution of 70 percent alcohol and 30 percent ...
CHEMISTRY - Suppose that 1.01g of rubbing alcohol(C3H8O) evaporates from a 56.0g...
Chemistry - Suppose that 1.00 g of rubbing alcohol (C3H8O) evaporates from a 57....
chemistry - In crystallization of sugar, the best seed slurry is obtainable by ...
chemistry - why does rubbing alcohol feel cold when its applied to the skin?

Search
Members