Posted by sam on Monday, July 28, 2008 at 11:31am.
...so this letter could be send to the employees.
...so this letter could be sent to the employees.
past or non past tense?
Grammar - GuruBlue, Monday, July 28, 2008 at 12:05pm
could be sent.....conditional past....
I wrote the letter ( past) so that the letter could be sent ( it happened in the past with the possibility of further action). We don't know whether the letter was sent or not.
Grammar - drwls, Monday, July 28, 2008 at 12:12pm
In this case "could" is past tense of "can" or "to be able". It is used with the past participle form of the auxiliary verb "send".
Grammar - sam, Monday, July 28, 2008 at 1:15pm
also is it... "this letter will be sent to employees or to the employees to inform them about the changes"?
to employees or to the employees?
Grammar - sam, Monday, July 28, 2008 at 1:20pm
...we will need your help in planning it.
...we will need your help planning it.
Grammar - sam, Monday, July 28, 2008 at 1:26pm
sorry, last question.
Please let everyone know about his contributions.
-is there a better way to phrase this sentence? It sounds a bit awkard to me. Thanks.
Grammar - GuruBlue, Monday, July 28, 2008 at 1:55pm
will be sent... is future
Please let everyone know about ....contributions. Do they already know who the "his" is? Are you speaking about an already specified person, or are you speaking about the people to whom you are writing? That will make a difference in the effectiveness of that sentence.
Grammar - sam, Monday, July 28, 2008 at 2:03pm
I am speaking about an already specified person.
Grammar - GuruBlue, Monday, July 28, 2008 at 3:10pm
Ok. Then your sentence is alright. However, you might throw an adjective in before "contributions". That will hint at how you want this message to be conveyed. eg. his efficiency contributions... his technical contributions. etc.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- english - what seven letter one syllable past tense verb becomes a seven letter ...
- English - grammar - I need my sentence to be past tense third person. I know my ...
- English - Are the verbs in these sentences passive voice, weak or past tense. My...
- Ms. Sue - Sent. demonstrates the past perfect tense? A. Ann had quit smoking ...
- Grammar - Identify the tenses (past, present, mixed): 1. Synthes self-retaining ...
- ESL-grammar - can anyone plz tell me what's the differences between past perfect...
- english - 3. The principal parts of a verb are A. present tense, present ...
- english - The principal parts of a verb are A. present tense, past tense, future...
- Grammar - What exsits or orcurrs in space that is 19 spaces long. The sencond ...
- 4th grade - What is the difference between past tense and past participle? what ...