Posted by matrixxavier on Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 4:12pm.
(1) body is taken to depth of 32km below the surface of the earth.
Calculate the percentage decrease in the weight of the body at this depth
(The radius of the earth is 6400km)
(2)A wire of mass per unit length 5.0gm-1 is stretched between 2 points 30cm apart.
The tension in the wire is 70N.
Calculate the frequency of the sound emitted by the wire when it oscillates in the fundamental mode.
(3)The periodic time of the pendulum executing simple harmonic motion is 2s. After how much interval from t = 0, will it displacement behalf of it amplitude?
Physics - drwls, Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 5:12pm
1) The weight of the person is proportional to the mass of the Earth at lower values of the radius. This will be less by a factor of (6368/6400)^3 at the 32 km depth.
2). Use the wide lineal density and the tension to compute the transverse wave speed, V.
V = sqrt [Tension/(mass per length)]
The length of the wire is half the wavelength of the fundamental mode. Call that wavelength W.
W * f = the wave speed, V. Solve for f
3) displacement = (Amplitude) sin (2 pi t/P)
where P is the period. If displacement= amplitude/2, then
1/2 = sin (2 pi t/P)
2 pi t/P = pi/6 (30 degrees)
t/P = 1/12
t = 1/6 second
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - the weight of the body on the surface of earth is 392N what will be ...
- Science - The weight of a body on the surface of the earth is 392N .What will be...
- Physics - a. 2 objects each of mass 200 kg and 500 kg are separated by 50 cm. ...
- physics - the mass of a body is 50 kg on the surface of the earth.find its ...
- earth - Body on surface of earth weighs 400 lb. Radius of earth is about ...
- maths - The Weight of an object varies inversely as the square of its distance ...
- physics - with what velocity must a body be thrown from earth surface so that it...
- Physics - A mass of 5Kg is 1st weighed on a balance at the top of a tower 20m ...
- physics - Assuming that 68.1% of the Earth's surface is covered with water at ...
- physics - If the change in the value of 'g ' at a height 'h ' above the surface ...