Posted by jess on Friday, July 25, 2008 at 9:56am.
John is three times as old as his son, Michael, and in x year time he will be twice as old as him
(i) write down expressions for Johns and Michaels age in x years time
(ii) write down and solve an equation in x
I know the answers as they are in the back of my book although I don't understand WHY that is, so please can someone explain it to me? Thank you so much in advance!
- math - Damon, Friday, July 25, 2008 at 10:15am
call Michael's age m
then John's age is 3 m
in x years, Michael will be (m + x) years old
in x years, John's age will be 3 m + x
The problem statement says that
3 m + x = 2 (m + x)
3 m + x = 2 m + 2 x
x = m
for example if today Michael is 10 and John is 30
then x = m = 10
and in 10 years
Michael is 20
and John is 40
and sure enough 40 is twice 20
- math - drwls, Friday, July 25, 2008 at 10:27am
You are supposed to write down two equations and solve them to obtain rhe age of John (J) and of Michael (M).
Let John's age now be J. Let Michael's age now be M. In x years, John's age will be
J' = J + x
and Michael's age will be
M' = M + x
If J'/M' = 2, then
(J+x)/M+x) = 2
J +x = 2M + 2x
You also know that J = 3M, so
3M + x = 2M + 2x
M = x
No matter what John's age is now, there is an x value that satisfies the two requirements. That is because you have only two equations in three unknowns.
- math - tchrwill, Friday, July 25, 2008 at 10:32am
1--J = 3S
2-- J + X = 2(S + X)
3--3S + x = 2S + 2x
4--S = x
5--J = 3x
6--Select an x and solve for J and S
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- MATH - MICHAEL(M) IS 1 YEAR OLDER THAN TWICE HIS BROTHER GREGS AGE. IF GREG IS G...
- math - A. John is now 10 years older than Marcus. Three times John's age 5 years...
- math - A. Brad is 12 years older than Sam . If Brad were 8 years older than he ...
- Math - I cant figure this out! Can someone please tell me were my mistake is...
- Math - The sum of John's age and twice of his son's age is 56. In 8 years time, ...
- math - A mother is 4 times as old as her son and 5 times as old as her daughter...
- Math - Write an equation which models how old in years each of you will be when ...
- math - I need help with this question for school tom. "Tisha is five years older...
- Math - Could someone please help me solve this problem, the age numbers that I ...
- math - This year the Sum of Mr. Bellinis age and his son's age his son's age is ...