Posted by jules on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 9:09pm.
if the 20th century began in the 1900s, why doesn't it start w/the digits 2000?
Doesn't make sense. 21st century...2100
- Confused - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 9:17pm
Consider the history of our calendar.
We date it from the supposed year that Jesus was born, so that would be year 1 A.D. (or C.E.) When he was 30 years old, the year was 30 A.D. Jesus lived in the first century.
The year 101 A.D. marked the 100th anniversary of Jesus birth and the start of the second century. All of the dates from 101 to 200 were in the second century.
We are now living in the 21st century after Jesus's birth.
I hope this clears it up for you.
- Confused - jules, Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 9:24pm
What does "a.d." or c.e. mean?
I googled Timeline of Christinaity before I posted the first time and it further confused me because I think Paul Harvey had compiled some of it and I read that Jesus learned "magic" and had appointed himself "God". It was odd to read, but thank you for your explanation.
- Confused - Writeacher, Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 9:31pm
AD stands for Anno Domini, which is Latin for "in the year of our Lord."
CE stands for Common Era, which is a non-Christian way to refer to the "AD" time period.
- Confused - Writeacher, Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 9:40pm
You're very welcome. Differentiating all the world cultures' ways to denote time is interesting, I think. Depends on when a culture decides to count, I guess!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- history - 20th century - can i ahve some suggestions oif events in the 20th ...
- math 4 grade - Some poeple believe that Jan 1,2000is the first day of the 21st ...
- us history - would appreciate links to research: culture change to the US in the...
- English - I forgot to include these other statements. ThANK YOU. 1)Where did the...
- 20th century Europe - The 20th century European dominance was replaced by what...
- English - 1. We see India as a strategic partner in the late 21st century. 2. ...
- twentieth century question - Hello, I have to do a question on the 20th century ...
- EDU 650 - compare and contrast what the authors identify as 21st century skills ...
- History - When US entered WWI, what century would that be? 20th century?
- English - What 20th or 21st century person is similiar to either Brutus, Ceasar...