Posted by Hannie on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 at 11:54pm.
A tennis court is 23.8 m by 11 m. A tennis club has 3 courts side by side in a fenced area. The courts have 3 m between them and 3 m around the outside. What are the dimensions of the fenced space?
Please and thank you!
Math - drwls, Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 12:34am
Make yourself a sketch and add up the distances.
Leaving only 3 meters behind the baselines and between courts seems rather crazy. I don't think the person who came up with this question plays much tennis. There is typically 6.4 meters behind the baselines for players to move around. But go ahead and use their dimensions anyway.
Math - Hannie, Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 12:38am
Okay. That's true, 3 meters is a pretty wide space. I figured out the first dimension, it's 29.8 m. I still need the second dimension so I can figure out the area of the fenced space.
Math - Hannie, Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 12:41am
correction* 3 meters is too less room.
Math - drwls, Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 12:47am
OK with the 29.8 m dimension perpendicular to the nets. For the other dimension, you need 3 x 11m (for three courts) + 2x3 m between courts and 2x3 m along the sides of the outer two courts. That is a total of 33 + 6 + 6 = 45 m
Math - Hannie, Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 12:52am
ohh... okay thanks so much! i really appreciate it. it makes sense now. ;)
Math - Tom, Tuesday, October 4, 2011 at 5:49pm
what is greater then 3,000 and what is less then 4,000
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Hi there, my question has to do with areas. a tennis court is 23.8 m by ...
- Math - A local gym charge nonmembers $ 19 per hour to use the tennis courts. ...
- statistics - A local country club has a membership of 600 and operates ...
- math - A local gym charges nonmembers $10 per hour to use the tennis courts. ...
- Mike - In a suit between Best Products, Inc., and Central Sales Corporation, the...
- 7th Grade world Civics - What is the order of the courts from Highest of ...
- American Government - what kind of state court system is set up so that trial ...
- Physical Education - Which of the following is NOT a popular surface for tennis ...
- maths - The length of a Tennis court is 12.8 m more than its width w. What are ...
- english - 1. Rewrite sentences using the Passive They’re going to open the ...