Posted by Emily on Monday, July 21, 2008 at 3:46pm.
Which of the sentences below has NO errors in punctuation?
a)The Great Fire of London lasted from September 2 to September 5 1666.
(there should be commas in the dates)
b)As Pepys and Mr. Moone walked through the city they were shocked at the destruction.
(I think there should be a comma between city and they)
c)Eighty percent of London was destroyed in the fire, and it took years to rebuild it.
d)People stopped buying wigs because they were afraid the wigs were spreading the germs that caused the Plague.
I think the correct answer is d?
I called my school for help and the tutor insists that the answer is c?
I don't understand why d is not correct?????
- English - Writeacher, Monday, July 21, 2008 at 4:10pm
I believe both c and d are correct.
Sentence c needs a comma after "fire" because it's a compound sentence.
Sentence d needs no commas because there are no introductory subordinate clauses nor non-essential clauses in the sentence.
- English - Emily, Monday, July 21, 2008 at 4:19pm
Thanks, I understood after she explained that c was correct, but she insisted that D was incorrect and that there needed to be a comma before because--and I disagreed. It doesn't even SOUND right with a comma there.
- English - Ms. Sue, Monday, July 21, 2008 at 4:26pm
I agree with Writeacher.
D is punctuated correctly because a comma should not be placed before "because." (Note that I didn't place a comma before "because" in the above sentence. Writeacher did put a comma in her sentence either.
- English - Writeacher, Monday, July 21, 2008 at 4:29pm
No, there should be no comma before "because." It's a subordinating conjunction, and it doesn't fall into either #3 or #4 in this particularly good list of explanations:
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English - Which of the sentences below has NO errors in punctuation? a)The Great...
- English - The fire lasted for four days, from 2 September until 5 September...
- english - Please check for any error and correctt them. THanks!!! We have your ...
- English - I left out the following sentences. Thank you very much, Writeacher. 1...
- English - What conclusion can you draw about Samuel Pepys from his account of ...
- English - Writeacher, can you check these sentences, please? Thank you very much...
- English - 1. The fire happens in the year 1666. 2. The fire happens in 1666. (...
- British Literature - #11: Coffeehouses were centers for (A) literary activity (B...
- Engllish - What conclusion can you draw about Samuel Pepys from his account of ...
- English - Posted by rfvv on Wednesday, September 3, 2014 at 8:31am. 1. It was ...