Posted by ruby on Sunday, July 20, 2008 at 9:13pm.
earlier in this forum, marina asked the same question as i did. unfortunately, someone did answer, very clearly, but for some reason i remained to be a little lost. Here is the question:
A car traveling 90 km/h is 100 m behind a truck traveling 75 km/h. How
long will it take the car to reach the truck?
Can someone pleasee tell me the answer to this problem and HOW they solved it. THANK YOU!! =)
physics - Ms. Sue, Sunday, July 20, 2008 at 9:25pm
I don't know physics, but I can show you one way to solve this problem.
First, let's find how many meters each vehicle covers in one minute.
90 km/h = 90,000 m/h = 1500 m/minute
75 km/h = 75,000 m/h = 1250 m/minute
1500 - 1250 = 250 meters
100/250 = 0.4 minute
physics - GK, Sunday, July 20, 2008 at 9:36pm
Convert km/h to m/s:
(90 km/h)(1000m/1km)(1 h/3600s) = 25.000 m/s
(75 km/h)(1000m/1km)(1 h/3600s) = 20.833 m/s
Let time of catching up = t
The distance travelled by slower car = (20.833 m/s)(t)
The distance travelled by faster car = (25.000 m/s)(t)
The distance travelled by the faster car is 100 m longer than the slower car:
(20.833 m/s)(t)+100m = (25.000m/s)(t)
100 m = (25.000m/s - 20.833 m/s)t
100 = (25.000 - 20.833)t
You should ba able to find the time in seconds, t, on your own.
physics - drwls, Monday, July 21, 2008 at 1:53am
The 100 m between the cars closes at a rate of 15km/h = 15,000 m/h
The gap becomes zero after 100/15,000 = 1/150 h = 0.40 min = 24 s
We all agree
physics - ruby, Monday, July 21, 2008 at 7:22pm
THANK YOU SOO MUCH!! THIS REALLY HELPED!!!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - I came here earlier with this question: "A force of 20 N acts toward ...
- Environmental Science - Can someone please help me with this question because ...
- bobprsly - I do apologize but I looked in the past post and i don't remember ...
- english 2 - Serious Story They were all slouching in their seats; making it ...
- physics - At car (1140-kg)traveling at 76.04 m/s and truck (12600-kg)traveling 6...
- AlgebrAlgebra-Mathmate or BobPursley or Reiny - I had asked a question earlier ...
- Physics - Momentum of cars at intersection - Car A(1750kg) traveling due south ...
- algebra - I asked this question earlier and wasn't sure what the answer was. ...
- physics(please help...very urgent.....) - A ball is hit at an angle of 36 ...
- Math: Homework Questons (answer quick) - Can you check if the answer is correct ...