Posted by Vanessa on Monday, July 14, 2008 at 10:46am.
A population of 500 E. coli bacteria doubles every 15 minutes. Use this information to find an expression for this population growth. Using this expression, find what the population would be in 87 minutes. Use an exponential model.
so we're supposed to use P(t)= (Po)(e)^kt
so P(o) would be 500,
and then would t be 15 or 0.25 and wowhat would k be? 2?
- Calculus - Reiny, Monday, July 14, 2008 at 11:43am
in P(t) = 500 e^kt
it depends whether you want to to be in minutes or hours.
let's do it for minutes, then
1000 = 500 e^15k
2 = e^15k
15k = ln2
k = (ln2)/15
if you want t to be hours then use .25 for t in
1000 = 500 e^.25K
K = ln2/.25 or K = 4ln2
- Calculus - Vanessa, Monday, July 14, 2008 at 12:51pm
okay, so then in 87 minutes what would it be?
- Calculus - Reiny, Monday, July 14, 2008 at 1:42pm
let's use our first one, the one in minutes
P(87) = 500 e^(87*ln2/15)
= 500 e^4.020254
is our answer reasonable??
remember it doubles every 15 min
so after 15 min --> 1000
after 30 min ---> 2000
after 45 min ---> 4000
after 60 min ---> 8000
after 75 min ---> 16000
after 90 min ---> 32000
we could check to see if we get 32000 for 90 minutes
P(90) = 500 e^(90*ln2/15)
= 500(64) = 32000 YES!!!!
- Calculus - Reiny, Monday, July 14, 2008 at 7:18pm
e is one of these very strange transcendental numbers like pi
one defn of e is
1 + 1/1! + 1/2! + 1/3! + ... to infinitity
where something like 5! = 1*2*3*4*5
e = Limit (1 + 1/n)^n where n approaches infinitity
The Swiss/German mathematician Euler spent a lot of time with the concept of that number and e is often called Euler's number
- Calculus - Anonymous, Saturday, June 16, 2012 at 6:14am
e is approximately 2.71828
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - Suppose that a population of bacteria triples every hour and starts ...
- Math - The size of a bacteria population is given by P=C*e^(kt) Where C is the ...
- Calculus - Under a set of controlled laboratory conditions, the size of the ...
- calculus - A bacteria culture starts with 900 bacteria and the population ...
- Calculus - The growth rate of Escherichia coli, a common bacterium found in the ...
- Applied Calculus...... - Under a set of controlled laboratory conditions, the ...
- calculus - A common inhabitant of human intestines is the bacterium Escherichia ...
- math/Calculus - A bacterial population starts at 500 and doubles every four days...
- calculus - The count in a bacteria culture was 600 after 10 minutes and 1100 ...
- Math - Bacteria A has an initial population of 500 and doubles everyday. ...