Posted by Derek on Thursday, July 10, 2008 at 10:33am.
this can be done by projections of two vector.
recall that the scalar projection of vector b on vector a is a∙b/│a│
so let's find a point on the give line,
e.g. the point B(6,0,1) (I let t=0)
draw a perpendicular from your given point P(1,-5,2) to meet the line at Q
So PQB forms a righ-angled triangle with │vector BP│ the hypotenuse.
vector BP, lets call it vector b, is (5,5,-1) and vector a is (3,1,2), (from your given line)
so the projection of vector b on vector a
also │b│ = √(25+25+1) = √51
You now have 2 sides of a right-angled triangle, with your required distance as the third side.
I will let you finish the arithmetic.
What do you with the triangle? How do you know which side is which, are you finding the hypotenuse, or just a side? This changes the math done. Like a^2+b^2=c^2, but if you are finding a side then it would be c^2-a^2=b^2...so can you please explain, thanks.
- Calc. for Reiny - Reiny, Thursday, July 10, 2008 at 9:22pm
Since you posted my reply, I will use my letters
I found │vector BP│ to be √51 , the hypotenuse
I found │vector bQ│ to be 18/√14
You want │vector PQ│
so (PQ)^2 + (BQ)^2 = (BP)^2
(PQ)^2 = (BP)^2 - (BQ)^2
= 51 - 324/14
BP = √(390/14)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra2 - Solve the matrix equation: 4 -5 m 32 1 2 * n = -5 if you meant this...
- calculus - State whether or not the following statements are true. Justify your ...
- math - │-2 │x │-4 │ + │-1 │ x │5 ...
- Precalc - A line in space has the vector equation shown here. Fill in the blanks...
- math, algebra II - Can someone explain to me step by step how the book got to ...
- Precalc - Given the plane 3x+2y+5z=54 and the points P0(6, 8, 4)[on plane] and ...
- Math - I have found the mean for each data set, but I am not sure if I have ...
- Physics - What are the products (either vector or scalar for each answer) of: a...
- Physics - You are given vectors A = 5.0i - 6.5j & B = -3.5i + 7.0j. A third ...
- math - A bicyclist rode into the 5h. In returning, her speed was 5 mi/h faster ...