Posted by LILY on Monday, July 7, 2008 at 10:11pm.
1. A father is three times as old as his son. Five years ago the sum of their ages was 30. How old is the father now? Choices; 30, 35, 40, 45, 50
2. A mother is four times as old as her daughter. In two years, the sum of their ages will be 44. How old is the mother now? Choices: 30, 32, 34, 36, 38
- MATH - Ms. Sue, Monday, July 7, 2008 at 10:24pm
1. First you have to find a number evenly divisible by 3. That leaves 30 and 45. Five years ago the father was either 25 or 40. What do you think the answer is?
2. Which choices are evenly divisible by 4? Which answer do you think is right?
- MATH - Reiny, Monday, July 7, 2008 at 10:52pm
Let the son's present age be x
then the father's present age is 3x
Five years ago :
son's age = x-5
father's age = 3x-5
x-5 + 3x-5 = 30
4x = 40
x = 10
So the son is now 10 and the father is now 30
Now you do #2 the same way.
- MATH - precious, Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 1:14am
mum is 34
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Mathematics - Two years hence,a father will be six times as old as his son.Three...
- Math - The sum of the ages of a father and his son is 62 years. 15 years ago, ...
- math - When a woman is as old as her father is now, she will be five times as ...
- math - A father is now three times as old as his son, twelve years ago he was ...
- math - A. A woman was 30 years old when her daughter was born.Her age is now 6 ...
- Math - Ten years ago a man was three times as old as his son. In twelve more ...
- math - 1. Lisa is 15 years old and her father is 40. How many years ago was the ...
- math - i never can do word problems....please help... i got 7 of them.....these ...
- Algebra - Ten years ago a man was three times as old as his son. In twelve more ...
- algebra - The combined age of a father and his two sons is 50 years. Four years ...