Posted by melanie on Sunday, June 22, 2008 at 4:54pm.
I'm having some difficulty with this problem:
Over the last 15 Major League Baseball seasons, the mean # of strikeouts by the American League leader is 258.5. Assuming that the # of strikeouts by the league leader is normally distributed & the standard deviation for all seasons in all leagues is 34.9, find the 82% Confidence Interval & the 93% Confidence Interval for the mean
Here's what I got for 82% CI:
p^ - E <p < p^ + E
0.988 – 3.795397212 < p < 0.988 + 3.795397212
-3.696597212 < p < 4.783397212
However, when I use computer software, I get 245.7828 < mean < 271.2172, which I think is correct. Of course, the software doesn't show me how to get to the answer.
If anyone can help figure out where I went wrong, please point me in the right direction.
- Statistics: 82% Confidence Interval - MathGuru, Sunday, June 22, 2008 at 8:05pm
Here's the formula I would use for this type of problem:
CI82 = mean + or - 1.35(sd / √n)
...where + or - 1.35 represents the 82% confidence interval, sd = standard deviation, √ = square root, and n = sample size.
With your data:
CI82 = 258.5 + or - 1.35 (34.9 / √15)
....... = 258.5 + or - 1.35 (9.01)
....... = 258.5 + or - 12.16
258.5 - 12.16 = 246.34
258.5 + 12.16 = 270.66
Interval is from 246.34 to 270.66. There may be differences due to rounding.
I hope this helps.
- Statistics: 82% Confidence Interval - melanie, Sunday, June 22, 2008 at 9:33pm
Thank you - that helped a lot!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Descriptive Statistics - . Over the last 15 Major League Baseball seasons, the ...
- Statistics/Confidence Intervals - Over the last 15 Major League Baseball seasons...
- Confidence Intervals - Over the last 15 Major League Baseball seasons, the mean ...
- Math - Baseball Pitcher Nolan set the record for the most career strikeouts- 5....
- statistics - Refer to the Baseball data, which report information on the 30 ...
- Statistics - 62.Refer to the Baseball 2009 data, which report information on the...
- 8th grade - Major League Baseball is divided into the National League and the ...
- English - I seen the help you gave other people and was wondering if you could ...
- social studies - imagine that you are the leader of a native american group tht ...
- Math - Getting stumped on this word problem. It is in the section of GCF. It ...