Posted by Adams on Thursday, June 19, 2008 at 3:56pm.
I don't understand how to determine how many accented syllables there are in lines of poetry...
How do you tell?
When the north wind blows its icy air to cool the earth,
English-Accented Syllables - Writeacher, Thursday, June 19, 2008 at 4:26pm
You have to listen (say the line out loud) to the sounds and pay attention to which syllables are "stressed" (another word for "said more loudly than the others"). I'll put the stressed syllables in all-caps:
When th' NORTH wind BLOWS its I-cy AIR to COOL the EARTH.
In that line the word "the" is barely pronounced and doesn't count as a syllable. This line looks like an iambic hexameter.
English-Accented Syllables - Connor, Wednesday, December 10, 2008 at 10:49am
"The earth is the Lord's,and the fullness thereof."
English-Accented Syllables - Alice, Tuesday, January 6, 2009 at 7:31pm
The accented syllable is the syllable in the word that you automatically say louder or more clearly.
English-Accented Syllables - Anonymous, Sunday, March 1, 2009 at 1:06pm
English-Accented Syllables - Beau, Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 9:48pm
The wrinkled sea beheath him crawls.
English-Accented Syllables - kaylee, Tuesday, March 16, 2010 at 7:08pm
idk wat a accented syllable is ????????????????????????? :(
English-Accented Syllables - chemical, Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 12:20pm
English-Accented Syllables - Anonymous, Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 4:39pm
English-Accented Syllables - Anonymous, Tuesday, November 1, 2011 at 9:08pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Do these contain 4 accented syllables? When the north wind blows its ...
- poetry - true or false iambic pentameter consists of five feet of two syllables,...
- English-Poetry - Which of these phrases best decribes rhythm? A.repeated sounds ...
- english llit - I am still trying to figure out the meter in the poem On the ...
- Literature - I know that Sonnets have fourteen lines THE QUESTIONS IS are "The ...
- english - thank you to the perosn who answered about the accent marks, but i ...
- Language - which statement describes the translation form of a haiku poem? A. A ...
- Poetry - What is rhyme scheme? (1 point_ The stressed and unstressed syllables ...
- poetry - Scan the following lines from Lowell's poem to identify the spondee. By...
- 4th grade English - Please check the following, thanks. First Syllable Accented ...