Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 at 11:11pm.
Are these correct with the lines
The line represents an estimate of the average cost of gasoline for each year. The line estimates the price of gasoline in January of each year (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2006).
a)Do you expect the lines to be intersecting, parallel, or perpendicular? Explain your reasoning. I found that the lines are parallel
b)Use the equations of the lines to determine if they are parallel. What did you find?I found that the lines are parallel
c)Did your answer to part b confirm your expectation in part a?yes
- Math - DrBob222, Wednesday, June 18, 2008 at 11:34pm
The general formula for a straight line is
y = mx + b where m is the slope. Two lines must have the same slope if they are to be parallel.
In your first equation m = 0.15 (the coefficient of x is m).
Your second equation is
0.11x - y = -0.85 and rearranging we get
-y = -0.11x - 0.85 and multiply through by -1 gives
y = 0.11x + 0.85.
Check my work.
The slope in the second equation is 0.11 which isn't the same as m in equation #1; therefore, they can't be parallel.
To be perpendicular, the m values must be the negative reciprocal of each other (or said another way the product of the m values is -1). They are not so they can't be perpendicular. The only thing left is for them to intersect.
- Math - Carmen, Wednesday, October 15, 2008 at 10:27pm
can someone please explain this question in more detail. I still do not get this.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math 116 - could someone please help me with this question. I have no clue where...
- math 116 appendix e - 4. The line y=0.15x +0.79 represents an estimate of the ...
- math-algebra please help - The line y=0.15x+0.79 represents an estimate of the ...
- Last equations question - The line y=0.15x+0.79 represents an estimate of the ...
- math - the line y= o.15x+ 0.79 represents an estimate of the avgerage cost of ...
- algebra - the line y=0.16x +0.84 represents an estimate of the average cost of ...
- math116 appendix e - 4. The line represents an estimate of the average cost of ...
- math 116 Help Please - 1. Suppose you are at the gas station filling your tank ...
- algebra - 2. Examine the rise in gasoline prices from 1997 to 2006. The price of...
- Algebra I - 1. Imagine you are at a gas station filling your tank with gas. The ...