Posted by Coralia on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 at 8:21pm.
Thanks SraJMcGin for replying. For some reason the second half of my post never appeared; my computer was having issues with this site for some reason earlier today. What I meant more specifically was different methods of preparations for food (grilled, baked, fried, boiled, frozen, spicy, creamy and mild). I'd use an online translator, but in the past I have gotten innaccurate answers from them. Merci beaucoup!
- french - SraJMcGin, Wednesday, June 18, 2008 at 10:05pm
Salut! If you tried to "cut and paste" it rarely works here. You have to type everything out.
Yes, translators NEVER work well! They can not get the "nuances" of a language. When you use a dictionary, here is a format to use:
1. take the English word, look up the French and write down EVERY possibility.
2. take EACH French word and look up the primary meaning in English.
3. now, select the correct word, carefully, depending upon the context, or exactly how the word is used.
There is actually no shortcut for translating. Only by practicing, can you learn what is best.
Remember that I'm going to give you adjectives, so be sure you have the correct gender (masculine or feminine) and number (singular or plural) to match the noun(s) modified.
grilled = grillé
baked = cuit au four
fried = frit
boiled = bouilli
frozen = surgelé
spicy = ´ épicé OR piquant (depending)
creamy = crémeux (-euse)
mild = doux (douce)
- french - SraJMcGin, Wednesday, June 18, 2008 at 11:31pm
P.S. Some other vocabulary words you didn't ask for but might like:
braised = braisé
raw = cru
steamed (fish, for example) = à l'étouffée
stuffed = farci
smoked = fumé
in juices = au jus
marinated = mariné
simmered, slow-cooked = mijoté
poached = persillé
poached = poché
mashed, pureed = en purée
stewed = en ragoût
grated = râpé
roast(ed) = rôti
sauteed = sauté
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- us history - what role did native americans play in the French and INdian war? ...
- geography - What are 2 reasons why some geographers today believe Thomas Malthus...
- Programming - Hi. I am taking a computer programming class (C++). I need some ...
- Business English - What is the best reason to omit the reason for the refusal in...
- Business Communications - What is the BEST reason to omit the reason for the ...
- Sociology - I am having some trouble with a sociology assignment concerning ...
- French for Aubrey - Sorry, for some reason it did NOT print. I'll try again!
- Economics - Go to the website w w w .u s t r . g o v From this site, what are ...
- Math Site - Is there an online site that talks about Linear Relations thoroughly...
- French(needs a site) - I'm doing a french presentation, and I would like to add ...