Posted by rose -Ms. Sue on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 at 10:14pm.
What do the terms race and ethnicity mean to you?
Race which is a concept can be defined as a group of people that have the same sets of characteristics. It is believed that, the most commonly used factors that determine race are skin color, self-identification, traits and facial features. There are several races. However, if we are to follow that definition, there should only be one race; which is the human race. As human beings we share the same characteristics such as two ears, a mouth, two eyes, one head, two legs, and blood running through our veins etc.
When I think of ethnicity, I see a group of people who share the same cultural and physical characteristics such as religion, language, foods, customs and beliefs. Sometimes, ethnicity can also be viewed to describe or to characterize a minority group of a country.
Why are these concepts important to United States society?
These concepts are important to the United States society because they are used to be able to identify how many nationalities exist in the United States for census purposes. However, sometimes, this could be done also, for purely stereo typic reason. In reality, what does one race has to do with the Census? In the United States these questions are also used when applying for a job. Some people choose not to answer, the fear that this might prevent them from getting a job. In retrospect, one origin and nationality really does not dictate one’s ability to perform the job. As a result, ethnic and race can be thought of as either limiting or beneficial.
eth-finalrevision - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, June 10, 2008 at 10:29pm
Great, Rose! You've answered these questions very well!
Here are a few corrections:
Race is a concept that can be defined . . .
Omit the comma after "that"
However, if we are to follow that definition, (which definition?? there should only be one race; which is the human race.
. . . for purely stereotypic reasons.
Some people choose not to answer, for fear that this might prevent them from getting a job
In retrospect, one's origin . . .
eth-finalrevision - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, June 10, 2008 at 10:42pm
You're very welcome, Rose! I know it wasn't easy, but your efforts produced wonderful answers! Keep up the good work!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- world geography damon - 1. what is the difference between race and ethnicity? a...
- english - revision - What do the terms race and ethnicity mean to you? The term ...
- ENGLISH - In which sentence is race used as a noun? A. Tom will race with four ...
- Applied behavioral Science - Of those below, the most important factors ...
- world geography - 1. what is the difference between race and ethnicity? a. ...
- math - A hare is in a 100m race. it starts the race at a particular speed s. ...
- Pysch - ______is to biological factors as ___________ is to cultural factors? a...
- The Sociology of Race and Ethnicity - This is when an oppressor uses race to ...
- Cutural diversity - I am not sure what race is, please give me an example on how...
- eth 125 - Throughout most of U.S.history in most locations, what race has been ...