Posted by TP on Wednesday, June 4, 2008 at 4:13am.
I've got a few sentence here, but I always get confused whether to use affect or effect. Can you help me out?
1. Furthermore, Lee and Hosseini illustrate the affect
that the experiences their protagonists encounter during childhood have upon the characters as adults.
2. Similarly, The Kite Runner, which is set in Afghanistan during the 1970s, also displays the adverse affect
Amirís surroundings have upon his views.
3. Furthermore, Looking for Alibrandi and Clueless illustrate the effect
of peer pressure of decisions making in the protagonistsí lives.
- English - Writeacher, Wednesday, June 4, 2008 at 7:26am
*AFFECT is used as a verb (meaning to influence or get some result)
*EFFECT is used as a noun (meaning the result)
Sometimes, but not often...
*AFFECT is used as a noun (meaning behavior or a feeling)
*EFFECT is used as a verb (meaning to bring something into being, to make something happen)
You can look them up here for more specific definitions: http://www.answers.com
- English - TP, Wednesday, June 4, 2008 at 7:34am
- English - Writeacher, Wednesday, June 4, 2008 at 8:01am
You're welcome. They're not easy, but if you concentrate on the pronunciation of each, you should eventually develop the right habits:
a-FECT (stress on second syllable) - verb
ee-FECT (stress on second syllable - noun or verb, but most likely noun)
[AA-fect (AA as in "man" - stress on the first syllable - noun)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English - The sentence: 'Not only do dropout rates affect the particular ...
- English Quick ? - Is my grammar correct in this sentence and should it be effect...
- effect or affect. - here's the question i have to answer about political ...
- english - Which one would be correct in the following sentence. What is the (...
- Reading ASAP - Underline each variable IV ABOVE THE INDEPENDENT VARIABLE DV ...
- ENGLISH GRAMMAR~!~!~!~!~ - when do you use affect and when do you use effect?
- world geography - Which of the following statements is most accurate? 1.The ...
- english - Can someone please check my homework for me? ∑ Write two paragraphs ...
- English - 1. The next few years, you are growing in and out. 2. During the next ...
- english - Could someone explain the difference between affect and effect to me? ...