Posted by Angel on Friday, May 30, 2008 at 10:25pm.
Thanks to DrBob222 for the help, but it only answered a few questions! PLEASE help answer, anyone?
This is a chemistry lab on boiling point, and I need some help with these questions!- Thanks!
(Info): You are going to take a trip. On this trip you will be stopping at different sites with varying altitudes. At each site you will compare the change in pressure and boiling point from the previous site to the new site.
4a. You start at sea level on the beach in California. What would the atmospheric pressure be?
4b. What would the boiling point of water be?
5a. Now you've moved to Los Angeles, where the altitude is 87 meters above sea level. What has happened to the atmospheric pressure in comparison to when you were at sea level?
5b. What has happened to the boiling point of water?
5c. Would the atmospheric pressure be greater than or less than one atmosphere?
5d. Would the boiling point of water be greater than or less than 100°C?
6a. Now you find yourself on an airplane headed for Israel to visit the Dead Sea, which is below sea level. You have always wanted to visit there and now is your chance. What has happened to the atmospheric pressure?
6b. What has happened to the boiling point of water?
6c. Would the atmospheric pressure be greater than or less than one atmosphere?
6d. Would the boiling point of water be greater than or less than 100Ã¸C?
7a. While in Israel you run into a group of people who are headed for the Rocky Mountains. You have always wanted to climb to the top of Pike's Peak and decide to join them. Pike's Peak has an altitude of 4300 m. What has happened to the atmospheric pressure?
7b. What has happened to the boiling point of water?
7c. Would the atmospheric pressure be greater than or less than one atmosphere?
7d. Would the boiling point of water be greater than or less than 100°C?
7e. As you near the top of Pike's Peak, you feel your backpack becoming wet! The can of pop you put there when you were at the Dead Sea has exploded! Why do you think this happened?
Please help or will fail!
- CHEM LAB!!! Must finish!!! - DrBob222, Friday, May 30, 2008 at 10:33pm
Those two facts, one about higher altitudes having lower pressure and lower altitudes having higher pressure and the other about boiling point in which boiling point decreases with decreasing pressure are the ONLY two points you need to answer ALL of the questions (perhaps the very last one about the soda pop can exploding is an exception). But logic will answer that one.
We don't DO homework but we help by providing information that will help you answer your homework questions.
- CHEM LAB!!! Must finish!!! - Ms. Sue, Friday, May 30, 2008 at 10:42pm
I hate to see anyone fail, I'll give you what little information that I can.
I thought it was common knowledge that water boils at 100 degrees C (212 degrees F) at sea level. Water boils at higher temperatures at higher elevations.
This site may also help you.
- CHEM LAB!!! Must finish!!! - Ms. Sue, Friday, May 30, 2008 at 11:03pm
I'm sorry, but I goofed! Water boils at LOWER temperatures at higher elevations.
Thanks, DrBob, for the correction.
- CHEM LAB!!! Must finish!!! - Angie, Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 6:56pm
Thank you guys- I don't need you to DO the homework for me- the help is perfect! Thanks for the site! I'm just very bad at chemistry, really every other subject is okay except for this one! Thanks a lot Ms. Sue and DrBob222!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chem Lab Help - I wanted to know if any one has done the Determination of ASA ...
- Drbob222 - Can you please help me with some questions I have on my Chemistry lab...
- Science - We made t-pentyl Chloride in Lab today using HCl and t-pentyl alcohol...
- Lab in general - I just read my syllabus for lab and I am kind of shocked at ...
- Analytical CHM - Calculate the theoretical amounts of 0.1000 M NaOH titrant used...
- Chemistry: Bunsen Burner Lab - Hi! I have recently completed a bunsen burner lab...
- Science 7R (Lab questions) - We did a lab today at science and for homework we ...
- chemistry lab - so i'm trying to finish my lab and im trying to solve for the ...
- Chemistry - DrBob222, I don't know how to solve this problem either. And yes, ...
- Integrated Science. - Hello there experts!Can you help me out with some of my ...