Posted by Tom on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 9:36pm.
Captain Kirk, of the Starship Enterprise, has been told by his superiors that only a chemist can be trusted with the combination to the safe containing the dilithium crystals that power the ship. The combination is the pH of Solution A described below, followed by the pH of Solution C. (For example, if the pH of Solution A is 3.47 and the pH of Solution C is 8.15, then the combination to the safe is 3-47-8-15.) The chemist must find the combination using the information below. All solutions are at 25°C. (20 points)
Solution A is 50 mL of 0.1 M solution of the weak monoprotic acid HX.
Solution B is a 0.05 M solution of the salt NaX. It has a pH of 10.02.
Solution C is made by adding 15 mL of 0.25 M KOH to Solution A.
What are you suppose to do with Solution B to help solve for solution A.
10^-10.02 = 9.55x 10^-11= [H+]
[OH-]= 1.047 x 10^.4
Is 9.55 x 10^-11 the Ka of Solution B.
NaX--Na+ + X
X + H2O-- HX + OH
wat should i do to solve for B to solve for A.
what should I do after this
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 9:02pm
Use solution B to solve for the Ka of the weak acid.
Use Ka from above to solve for the pH of solution A. That gives you the first 3 numbers of the combination.
Use solution C and the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to solve for the pH of that solution which will be last three numbers of the combination.
Chemistry - Tom, Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 9:36pm
how do u use Solution B to solve for the Ka?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Captain Kirk, of the Starship Enterprise, has been told by his ...
- chemistry-confirm please - Only a chemist can be trusted with the combination to...
- Physics - Assume that the Starship Enterprise is moving through space at the ...
- L.A - O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done, The ship has weather’d ...
- physics - 1. A ship has a top speed of 3.0 m/s in calm water. The current of the...
- Language Arts - Which statement best expresses the underlying meaning of the ...
- Calculus - The captain of a ship at sea sights a lighthouse which is 260 feet ...
- trig - The captain of a ship at sea sights a lighthouse which is 280 feet tall. ...
- Physics - The captain sinks a ship located x distance away with a cannon located...
- Science - Is Dilithium real and what can it be used for. should i go find it ...