Posted by rose- Ms. sue on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 9:27pm.
Directions: In each of the following sentences some part of the sentence or the entire sentence is underlined. Beneath each sentence you will find four ways of writing the underlined part. The first of these repeats the original, but the other three are all different. If you think the original sentence is better than any of the suggested changes, you should choose answer A; otherwise you should mark one of the other choices. Select the best answer and fill in the corresponding lettered space on the answer sheet.
In choosing answers, follow the requirements of standard written English; that is, pay attention to acceptable usage in grammar, diction (choice of words), sentence construction, and punctuation. Choose the answer that expresses most effectively what is presented in the original sentence; this answer should be clear and exact, without awkwardness, ambiguity, or redundancy.
5) In many areas water was long considered a free commodity, available to the farmer at not any more than the price to transport it.
A) at not any more than the price to transport it
B) at no more than the costs of transportation (X)
C) for no more than the price of transporting it
D) only for the price that it costs to transport it
6) The medical personnel treating the victims displaced by the hurricane claimed that the situation would grow worse, unless having more medical supplies.
A) worse, unless having more
B) worse because of needing more
C) worse without more
D) worse without having more
My answer for 6 is D
English- 5 - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 9:43pm
I agree with both of your answers. Good job! :-)
English- 5 - Anonymous, Friday, March 6, 2009 at 8:09pm
7) Surrounded by mountains and 7,400 feet above sea level, Mexico City (A) suffers from both (B) kinds of air pollution, the photochemical reaction of Los Angeles (C) or the thermal inversion of New York.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- com 220 - Questions 5-6 Directions: In each of the following sentences some part...
- Language Arts - 18. Identify the term that correctly identifies the sentence. ...
- English - Identify the incorrect word in the sentence. My point was that Sophia'...
- English - 1) What is the principal part of the underlined verb in the sentence? ...
- E.L.A. PLEASE CHECK! - Identify the underlined word in the sentence. Write ...
- English - The plane came down later than expected. 15. In this sentence, what ...
- English - Identify the part of speech or the form of a part of speech in the ...
- English - Select the letter of the sentence in which the mood of the verb is ...
- language arts - Identify the choice that best describes the underlined word in ...
- English, please help - Which sentence below has an underlined action verb? A. ...