Posted by G on Monday, May 26, 2008 at 3:56pm.
Solving word problem using quadratic equation.
The book says the answer is 20 feet. I know how to solve the equation. I do not know where the 20 feet is coming from.
Mr. Ingram wants to add a garage to his home. The dimensions of his home are 50ft by 20ft. When securing his buisling permit, he found that his home with the garage cannot be more then 1,400 square feet. How long can he extend the side of his house that is 50ft. long so that his remoding project will follow the code?
(X+50) (X+20) = 1,400
The answer I get is the 5 ft. Where is the 20 feet coming from?
- Algebra - Reiny, Monday, May 26, 2008 at 4:25pm
It is easier than you made it
You said <How long can he extend the side of his house that is 50ft. long..> so only the length is to be extended.
then 20(x+50) = 1400
20x + 1000 = 1400
20x = 400
x = 20
- Algebra - tchrwill, Monday, May 26, 2008 at 4:26pm
Only toe 50 ft. side is being increased.
Therefore, 20(x + 50) = 1400 or
20x + 1000 = 1400 or 20x = 400 making x = 20 ft.
- Algebra - Reiny, Monday, May 26, 2008 at 4:44pm
Wow, 3 postings in a row where we were just minutes apart, and almost identical solutions.
Who said great minds don't think alike, lol
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math,help,algebra I - I need help can someone help me get unstuck and let me ...
- ap calculus - The height s of a ball, in feet, thrown with an initial velocity ...
- Algebra/Quadratic equations - I have to make a word problem/story out of this ...
- Word Problem - A wire from the top of a TV tower to the ground makes an angle of...
- Word Problem- Algebra - 1. Multiply a number by 4, then multiply this product by...
- math,algebra II - I need someone to explain to me step by step the process of ...
- Algebra - Solve the quadratic equation. 3x^2-15x+18=0 I know that the formula to...
- Math Analysis - What is the approximate horizontal distance traveled by a soccer...
- maths - I've to solve the following absolute value equation 8|w-7|=72. I solved ...
- Algebra - I am still having trouble solving this problem. Use the quadratic ...