Posted by victor on Monday, May 26, 2008 at 2:57pm.
the larger of two numbers is 1 more than twice the smaller.the sum of the numbers is 20 less than three times the larger.find the numbers
algebra - Damon, Monday, May 26, 2008 at 3:04pm
Look at my answer to Ulises a few lines down for hint.
algebra - Damon, Monday, May 26, 2008 at 3:07pm
Ok, call big one b
call small one s
b = 1 + 2 s
b + s = 3 b - 20
algebra - Damon, Monday, May 26, 2008 at 3:24pm
from the first equation you know that you can use the quantity (1 + 2 s) for b
so do that
1 + 2 s + s = 3 (1 + 2 s) - 20
1 + 3 s = 3 + 6 s - 20
solve that for s, then go back and find b
algebra - chitta, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 1:33am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - the larger of the two numbers is 8 more than twice the smaller. The sum ...
- Math - Can someone please help me write this statement out in formula form. ...
- Math(Algebra) - How would you set this problem up and work it: The difference ...
- Reiny! Reiny! Reiny! Answer Check and HW Help! - Translate to a system of ...
- Math - Five times the larger of two numbers plus four times the smaller is 271. ...
- algebra - Three times the difference of two numbers is 3 more than the larger ...
- math - the larger of two numbers is 1 more than twice the smaller. three times ...
- Algebra - One number is 6 more than another. If the sum of the smaller number ...
- Math - The larger of two numbers is 1 less than 3 times the smaller number. If ...
- Math 8th grade - I NEED THESE IN ALGEBRAIC EXPRESSION!! The larger of two sums ...