Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 10:06pm.
How do you factor "0 = x^4 - 6x^2 + 5"? Please show all steps.
Here's my work, but I just went around in circles.....
0 = x^4 - 6x^2 + 5
-5 = x^4 - 6x^2
-5 = x^2 (x^2 - 6)
-5 / x^2 = x^2 - 6
(-5 / x^2) + 6 = x^2
(-5 + 6x^2) / (x^2) = x^2
-5 + 6x^2 = x^2 * x^2
-5 + 6x^2 = x^4
0 - x^4 - 6x^2 + 5
- Math - Reiny, Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 10:14pm
NO, you have not factored anything at all
x^4 - 6x^2 + 5 = 0
(x^2 - 1)(x^2 - 5) = 0
(x-1)(x+1)x^2 - 5) = 0 if you factor over the rationals
(x-1)(x+1)x-√5)(x+√5) = 0 if you factor over the reals
- Math - JJ, Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 1:11pm
start by treating the problem like it is a quadratic. Let u = x^2
u^2 - 6u + 5
Factors as: (u-5)(u-1)
(x^2 -5)(x^2 -1) =0
Whenever there is = 0, Normally, you have to solve for x and not stop at the factoring step.
Set each factor = to zero.
(x^2-5)=0 or (x^2 - 1) = 0
x^2 = 5 or x^2 = 1
x = square root of 5 divided by 2
x = minus the square root of 5 divided by 2
x = 1
x = -1
Answer this Question
- Math - Can somebody please explain to me how to factor trinomials that contain ...
- math ergent please - 3. Factor x^4-3x^3-11x^2+3x+10 completely using the factor ...
- math - 2. Simplify. Please be sure to show all of your work. -3(-9) – |-5 – 3 3...
- calculus-can someone please help me with this ques - I have two questions if ...
- math help!! - factor: a^2/36 - b^2/49 show all your steps please!!
- Math - factor: a^2/36 - b^2/49 show all your steps please !
- math ergent please please... - 10.a)Solve the inequality x^3-5x^2+2x+8<0 by i...
- MATH FACTOR POLYNOMIALS - Factor the polynomial. Please show all work. x^2+2x-3
- Math - Could you show me how to work through this problem? Show me steps Solve ...
- Please Help Me Math - Find the sum and express in simplest form. Show all work: ...